|This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.
Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles for deletion page.
Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the discussion, read the guide to deletion.
Joe Flizzow of Too Phat onstage
16 October 1973 |
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
|Origin||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Associated acts||KLG Sqwad, DJ Iman, Pop Shuvit, Kyla, DJ T-Bone, Stylustiks, Phlowtron, Sakti, Emcee David, Warren G|
|Website||Too Phat's Official Website|
Too Phat is a Malaysian hip-hop duo, consisting of Joe Flizzow (born Johan Ishak in Johor Bahru, 16 November 1975, aka The President) and Malique Ibrahim (born in Kuala Lumpur, 21 August 1977, aka The General).
|This section requires expansion with: Critical reception, musical styles, early life of performers. (January 2011)|
In the late 1990s Joe Flizzow,Malique Ibrahim and Kevin Felix@Doctah'K at that time formed a musical trio who later became a duo under the Positive Tone label. Their first big break came in 1999 when their first singles, Li'l Fingaz and Too Phat Baby entered normal rotation on local radio.
On the back of the success of these first singles, work soon began on an album entitled whuttadilly?. So far, Plan B has sold over 45,000 copies, earning double platinum status in Malaysia. Cashing in on the duo's fame, recording label Positive Tone, a subsidiary of EMI International, produced a re-issue of Plan B entitled Plan B Platinum Edition, including two new songs, "Clap to This" and "Last Song". Song lyrics were also included in the Platinum Edition and all albums and singles thereafter. With Phase Too Alongside, D' Navigator & Tripdisz Engineered The Album With The Help The Phat Family Crew & Dj T-Bone
The music video for a track from Plan B, "Just a Friend", was produced in collaboration with Maxis Hotlink and debuted on Malaysian television channel NTV7. The video features cameo appearances from local artistes M. Nasir, Fauziah Latiff and Ferhad, and Malaysian track and field athlete Watson Nyambek. Most of the scenes were shot locally, in the city of Kuala Lumpur. The group controversially used their video to confront issues regarding homosexuality, addressing a topic which is usually avoided in conservative Malaysia. "Just a Friend" became the first music video produced by a local music act to be shown on national television. Too Phat have also collaborated with American hip hop artist Warren G.
In 2005, they produced their latest album Rebirth Into Reality featuring various hip-hop artists from East Asia. The album's first single Dua Dunia features award winning Malaysian singer Siti Nurhaliza.
The group are now signed to Kartel Records, a label that Joe Flizzow created. The duo launched Phatcaps, a merchandising label for Too Phat, where the first editions of the KL caps was introduced (Baseball style in Black & White, Baseball style in Red & White, Trucker style in camouflage and baby pink only). In 2007, Joe Flizzow re-launched the 'KL cap' under his own label called State Of Mine Caps, by Kartel Clothing with Limited Edition KL caps in black and gold and white and gold combinations.
After their album Rebirth into Reality, the duo announced of their intention to explore their musical tastes as solo artists.
Joe Flizzow released his first solo album, The President, in December 2008. The album features hip hop legend KRS-One. Malique is now married with Melissa Maureen Rizal, and has recently released his solo album, OK.
- Plan B
- Phat Family
- Too Phat: The Classics
- Rebirth Into Reality
- Too Phat Too Furious
- Too Phat : The Greatest Hits
- The Best of Too Phat
- The President, 2008 (Joe Flizzow solo album)
- Ok, 2008 (Malique Ibrahim solo album)
- Malique & Dj Fuzz: K.O The Mixtape, 2009 (Malique Ibrahim solo album)
- TKO:Peace Out (un- released), 2011 (Malique Ibrahim's solo album)
- Mantera, 2012 (Malique Ibrahim's Solo Album)
- HAVOC, 2013 (Joe Flizzow solo album)
- Li'l Fingaz
- Too Phat Baby
- Anak Ayam
- Tell Shorty (feat. Ruffedge & V.E.)
- Just A Friend (feat. V.E.)
- Ala Canggung (feat. Lil' Marissa)
- Where My Love At
- Just A Li'l Bit (feat. Warren G)
- Alhamdulilah (feat. Yasin)
- Dua Dunia (feat. Siti Nurhaliza)
- How Me Seksi (feat. Inul Daratista)
- To The World Cup - 2006
- Feels So Good (Emcee David ft. Joe Flizzow) - 2006
- Jari Jemari (Camillia ft. Joe Flizzow) - 2007
- Get It Done (Air Force Ones featuring Yg Ariff) - 2007
- 1000 Verses (ALI ft. Joe Flizzow)
- One Night Lover (Rossa ft. Joe Flizzow) - 2012
Awards and achievements
- 2002 Best Engineered Album
- Best Local English Album - Plan B
- 2003 Anugerah Kembara Prestigious Award
- 2004 Best Group In A Vocal Performance in an album - 360°
- Best Local English Album
- 2006 Best Local English Album - Rebirth Into Reality
- Best Album Cover -Rebirth Into Reality
- ERA Radio Awards Anugerah ERA
- 2001 Choice Local English Artiste
- 2002 Choice Local English Artiste
- 2003 Choice Local English Artiste
- 2004 Choice Local English Artiste
- Nominee MTV Asia Awards 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005
- HP Inter-Action (five countries, five club realtime podcast concert) 2006 – Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, Malaysia, Hong Kong.
- Owner of State of Mine Caps (KL caps)
- Kanye West -Touch The Sky Tour, Malaysia, 2006 (Opening act)
- Recharge Revelation - Global Gathering, A Famosa, 2007
- Quiksilver 2.0 Revolution Tour, Kuala Lumpur & Bali, 2007
- Bacardi Mix and Match Tour, China, 2008
- Sunburst KL, 2008