Traced in Air
|Traced in Air|
|Studio album by Cynic|
|Released||November 17, 2008|
|Recorded||2008, Broken Wave Studios,
|Genre||Progressive metal, progressive rock, jazz fusion, alternative metal|
|Label||Season of Mist|
|Producer||Paul Masvidal, Sean Reinert|
|Terrorizer Magazine||(9.5/10) (Dec 2008)|
Cynic disbanded during the fall of 1994 while working on a new album. On January 17, 2008, Cynic resumed musical activity and Paul Masvidal said he wanted to complete the project after the Reunion Tour.
Tymon Kruidenier was then announced as a hired replacement for Senescu. Kruidenier also handled the death growls for the album.
On July 19, 2008, Cynic announced through YouTube that the album's name is Traced in Air.
The release date for Traced in Air was pushed back to November 17, 2008 in Europe, and November 25, 2008 in North America.
In 2008, drummer Sean Reinert gave an update on the second studio album and its musical style in an interview with Metal Hammer saying:
|“||Yeah we got tons and tons of stuff lying around man from '94  to the present day man, it's gonna be great. Everyone can expect something stylistically the same as Focus but more upbeat, energetic and most important of all, pretty god damn brutal! I mean we're gonna mix in Bullacake by Niche Dexplicit into one of our songs but will be using real scary riffs and solos and more savage growling as well as Paul's robotic vocals and keyboarding. Basically all the shit which was there on Focus is all gonna be there with this new one too. But with some new things bundled in and a bit more brutal. It's gonna be good||”|
In July 2008, Blabbermouth revealed Masvidal had this to say on the album:
|“||We've been on an amazing journey discovering this new music and soon it will be yours. Expect the unexpected. The album is an intensely concentrated mosaic of internal and external energies, from the deepest peace to the purest aggression. There's an acquired taste that comes with a record of this density, but once your ears wrap themselves around the language at work, everything falls into place and suddenly you'll feel a sudden urge to sing, scream or maybe even cry. The album has a beginning, middle and end. The story will reveal itself after numerous listens and then you may not want to let go. Besides Reinert and I, Tymon brought some new life force and magic to the record with fierce growling and poetic guitar sensibilities. Malone also did a fine job with the low end, grooving away with Reinert in a pocket land from hell!||”|
The first track and the last track of this album juxtapose each other by being exact opposites, both different philosophies of time. Nunc fluens, Latin for "flowing now," is the belief in time and the flow of it through an eternity, never beginning nor stopping. Nunc stans, Latin for "abiding now," is the belief that time itself doesn't exist, and that any distinctions between now, before and the future have either fallen away or don't exist.
- "Nunc Fluens" – 2:56
- "The Space for This" – 5:46
- "Evolutionary Sleeper" – 3:35
- "Integral Birth" – 3:53
- "The Unknown Guest" – 4:13
- "Adam's Murmur" – 3:29
- "King of Those Who Know" – 6:09
- "Nunc Stans" – 4:13
- Paul Masvidal – vocals, guitar, guitar synth
- Sean Reinert – drums, percussion, Synthesizers
- Sean Malone – bass, Chapman Stick
- Tymon Kruidenier – guitar, death growls
- Amy Correia – background vocals
- Cynic's Traced in Air Date Pushed Back to November: News @ Blabbermouth.net
- Cynic Interview @ lordsofmetal.nl
- Cynic Sign to Season of Mist. News @ metalstorm.ee
- Bowar, Chad. Cynic - 'Traced In Air' heavymetal.about.com. Retrieved on 2011-05-03.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. Traced in Air allmusic.com. Retrieved on 2011-05-03.
- Alisoglu, Scott. Cynic Traced in Air (Season of Mist) blabbermouth.net. Retrieved on 2011-05-03.
- Hanson, John A. Cynic Traced in Air sputnikmusic.com. 2008-11-18. Retrieved on 2011-05-03.
- Traced in Air preview @ youtube.com
- "Cynic's Traced In The Air Available For Download". Roadrunner Records. October 30, 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-26.
- "Cynic: New Album Title, Release Date Revealed". Roadrunner Records. July 25, 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "ETERNITY". Retrieved 2010-08-019.