Tunbridge Wells Girls' Grammar School
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (February 2014)|
|DfE URN||118789 Tables|
Tunbridge Wells Girls' Grammar School (TWGGS), established in 1905, is an all female selective school in Royal Tunbridge Wells, a town in Kent, England. The "eleven plus" examination represents the main entrance criterion, along with residence within the catchment area (two miles as of 2007; a small number of spaces are reserved for students outside of the catchment area). The current head mistress is Mrs Linda Wybar.
The uniform consists of a pleated tartan skirt, white blouse, matching tartan tie and navy jumper with a gold TWGGS logo (the same as the school's emblem). This uniform was brought in during 1997, with the Year Seven level being the first class to wear it. A summer uniform was added in the form of a thin cotton tartan dress. As of 2013 a white, open-neck blouse with a navy TWGGS logo was added with a straight, tartan skirt for Year 10. The Sixth Form do not wear a uniform.
About the school
The school is a specialist school in Music with English. The school has taken part in many sporting events such as football, curling, hockey, netball and dance. There are 5 forms per year named 'T', 'W', 'I', 'G' and 'S', and each class has around 30 pupils.
Notable former pupils
- Ellie Beaven, actress
- Jo Brand, stand-up comedian
- Nazaneen Ghaffar, television weather presenter
- Virginia Wade, tennis player
- Tonbridge Grammar School
- Tunbridge Wells Boys' Grammar School
- The Skinners' School
- The Judd School
- Weald of Kent Grammar School
- The Skinners’ Kent Academy
- Uniform Regulations Tunbridge Wells Girls' Grammar School accessed 6 March 2009.
- Official website
- Ofsted Site
- Results of Latest Ofsted Inspection
- Key Stage 3 Achievement and Attainment Tables 2006
- GCSE Achievement and Attainment Tables 2006