|Born||22 February 1955.
|Fields||Physiology and evolution of bacteria, plants and animals; History and philosophy of biology|
Ulrich Kutschera (born 22 February 1955) is a scientist of plant physiology and evolutionary biology who works at the University of Kassel, Germany and the Carnegie Institution for Science, Stanford, California. He is the founder and head of Evolutionbiologie, the Association of Evolutionary Biologists of Germany. Kutschera is critical of creationism and intelligent design.
Education and Career
Kutschera completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Freiburg, Germany, receiving a MS in zoology and evolutionary biology. In 1985, he received a doctorate degree in plant physiology. His thesis (summa cum laude), was awarded the Pfizer Research Award (Germany) in 1986.
Between 1985 and 1988, Kutschera was the recipient of a Humboldt-fellowship (Feodor Lynen Program). He carried out his post-doctoral work at Stanford University at the Carnegie Institution for Science and at Michigan State University at the MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory. Kutschera was then employed at the University of Bonn as a research associate and then as a lecturer. In 1993, Kutschera began his professional career at the Faculty of Biology and Chemistry, University of Kassel.
Kutschera is an elected member of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Bonn, Germany and the European Society for Evolutionary Biology (ESEB). In 2002, he became head of the Division of Evolutionary Biology, at the Association of German Biologists (VBiO) and from 2004 to 2007 was vice president. In 2013, Kutschera was elected corresponding member of the Botanical Society of America (BSA).
Kutschera has studied the mechanism of phytohormone-mediated cell expansion (epidermal growth-control theory of stem elongation; protein secretion hypothesis of auxin action; and epiphytic methylobacteria as phytosymbionts in living-fossil plants). His contributions to the taxonomy and molecular phylogeny of aquatic annelids, includes, for example, the Golden Gate leech; revision of the systematics of medicinal leeches and theory of the evolution of parental care in the Hirudinea. 
Kutschera has written about evolution and creationism from historical and philosophical perspectives and the modern theory of biological evolution as an expanded synthesis and the Synade-model of macroevolution. In 2008, Kutschera described the strict separation of scientific facts and theories from religious dogmas in Charles Darwin's book On the Origin of Species (1859) as Darwin's philosophical imperative.
Evolution versus intelligent design
In 2003, Kutschera said,
- "Anti-evolutionism in German-speaking countries has already infiltrated some academic circles."
In 2007, at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, in San Francisco, US, when speaking about the spread of creationism in Europe, Kutschera said,
- "The more one argues against this creationist propaganda...the less you can convince people who are not scientists...[we should] no longer talk about Darwinism. but use the term Evolutionary Biology, which is a scientific discipline, like Physiology." 
Kutschera has published more than 200 scientific papers, many with co-authors from the US, such as Karl J. Niklas and Winslow R. Briggs; nine books (in German); and science videos for biology students.
His academic textbook, Evolutionsbiologie  has been translated into Russian and Portuguese. Kutschera's book Tatsache Evolution was a best-seller during the Year of Darwin 2009 (in Germany) and the subject of controversial reports and discussions.
- "Curriculum vitae." University of Kassel. Accessed 24 January 2013.
- "Wang lab: people." Carnegie Institution for Science. Accessed 24 January 2013.
- "About us" Association of German biologists (VBiO) Accessed 8 April 2014.
- Luskin C. "New plant evolution paper misfires while debating the controversy that doesn't exist." Evolution News. 6 March 2008.
- "Corresponding members" Botanical Society of America.
- Publications: U. Kutschera on NCBI/PubMed
- On Darwin's Philosophical Imperativ - Blog by David Tyler
- Numbers R. L. "The Creationists: from scientific creationism to intelligent design." Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 2006.
- "Down with Darwinism." Cosmic Log, NBC News 16 February 2007.
- "Giordano Bruno Foundation - Kutschera." Bruno Giordano Foundation, website.
- "Intelligent design debate arrives in Germany." DW.de.
- "German scientists concerned about rise in creationist belief." DW.de.
- Kutschera U. "Evolutionsbiologie", 3rd edition, Verlag Eugen Ulmer, Stuttgart 2008 ISBN 978-3-8252-8318-6.
- Kutschera U. "Tatsache Evolution", 3rd edition DTV, München 2010 ISBN 978-3-423-24707-8.
- Knoll A. "Tatsache Evolution. Was Darvin nicht wissen konnte." ScienceBlogs 8 May 2009 (German).