Under the Blade
|Under the Blade|
|Studio album by Twisted Sister|
|Released||September 18, 1982|
|Recorded||The Barn at Kitchenham Farm, Ashburnham with the RAK Mobile,
I.C.C. Studios, Eastbourne,
Maison Rouge, London, England, July-August 1982
|Producer||Pete Way, Mark Mendoza, Dee Snider|
|Twisted Sister chronology|
Under the Blade is the debut studio album by American heavy metal band Twisted Sister, released on Secret Records on September 18, 1982. It featured a very brutal and rough sound which was eventually totally ignored on a remixed re-release by Atlantic Records on July 14, 1985. The re-release also added a remixed version of the song "I'll Never Grow Up Now". The Atlantic Records release was both a try to emphasize on the commercial success of Stay Hungry and, by then (and for years to come) the only official way to get the album as Secret Records were no more. However, bootlegs with the original mix were still in circulation. On May 31, 2011, Eagle Records re-released Under the Blade in a digital remastered form with the original mix finally restored. Under the Blade has sold over two million copies worldwide.
|Rolling Stone||(Not Rated)|
All songs written by Dee Snider.
- Side one
- "What You Don't Know (Sure Can Hurt You)" - 4:45
- "Bad Boys (of Rock 'n' Roll)" - 3:20
- "Run for Your Life" - 3:28
- "Sin After Sin" - 3:23
- "Shoot 'Em Down" - 3:53
- Side two
- "Destroyer" - 4:16
- "Under the Blade" - 4:40
- "Tear It Loose" - 3:08
- "I'll Never Grow Up, Now" - 4:27†
- "Day of the Rocker" - 5:03
†1985 Atlantic re-issue only
The special edition, released on CD, contains the original album, the complete and remastered Ruff Cuts EP, and an edited live version of "Shoot 'Em Down" from an UK-sampler called "Reading Rock Volume One". Also, the appearance of Twisted Sister at the 1982 Reading Festival is on a bonus DVD, together with interviews from the band members.
- "What You Don't Know (Sure Can Hurt You)" - 4:46
- "Bad Boys (of Rock 'n' Roll)" - 3:21
- "Run for Your Life" - 3:28
- "Sin After Sin" - 3:22
- "Shoot 'Em Down" - 3:54
- "Destroyer" - 4:09
- "Under the Blade" - 4:38
- "Tear It Loose" - 3:09
- "Day of the Rocker" - 5:02
- "What You Don't Know (Sure Can Hurt You)" - 5:32†
- "Shoot 'Em Down" - 3:56†
- "Under the Blade" - 4:41†
- "Leader of the Pack" - 4:01†
- "Shoot 'Em Down (live)" - 3:37
†from the 1982 Ruff Cutts EP
- Band members
- Dee Snider - lead vocals, assistant producer
- Eddie "Fingers" Ojeda - lead & rhythm guitar, backing vocals
- Jay Jay French - rhythm & lead guitar, backing vocals
- Mark "The Animal" Mendoza - bass, backing vocals, assistant producer, remix producer, engineer
- A. J. Pero - drums, percussion
- Pete Way - producer, executive producer
- Will Gosling, Craig Thomson, Dave Boscombe - engineers, mixing
- Mark Mendoza, Danny McNerney - 1985 remix engineers
- Fin Costello - cover concept and photography
|1982||UK Albums Chart||70|
|1985||Billboard 200 (USA)||125|
- Prato, Greg. "Twisted Sister Under the Blade review". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- Holmes, Tim (12 September 1985). "Album Reviews: Twisted Sister - Under the Blade". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 1 October 2007. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- Popoff, Martin (1 November 2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal: Volume 2: The Eighties. Burlington, Ontario, Canada: Collector's Guide Publishing. ISBN 978-1894959315.
- [...], Rock Hard (Hrsg.). [Red.: Michael Rensen. Mitarb.: Götz Kühnemund] (2005). Best of Rock & Metal die 500 stärksten Scheiben aller Zeiten. Königswinter: Heel. p. 54. ISBN 3-89880-517-4.
- "Album Reviews: Twisted Sister - Under the Blade chart stats". Chartarchive.org. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- "Under the Blade Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2013-04-29.