Vaassen (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈvaːsə(n)]) (Low German: Vaossen) is one of four villages in the Dutch municipality Epe. Vaassen is situated between Apeldoorn and Zwolle, on the eastern edge of the Veluwe in the province of Gelderland and has 12,719 inhabitants (2008). Vaassen was an independent municipality up to 1 January 1818, when it merged with Epe.
The town is mentioned for the first time in a certificate from the Codex Laureshamnensis of the monastery of Lorschin the year 891 or 892, when someone called "Brunhilde" gave a farmhouse and the church to Lorsch. The name Vaassen derives from "Fasna", an old word for a specific rough type of grass.
From the 2nd of September 1887 up to the 8th of October 1950 there was a railwaystation in Vaassen. The station was part of the so-called Baronline between Apeldoorn and Zwolle. In 1950 the station was closed because the line was discontinued. The former railwaystation is still in its original place, but now used as a dwelling.
Vaassen is characterized by a centuries-long coexistence of Protestant and Roman Catholic populations.
Neighborhoods in Vaassen
Berkenoord, Berkenoord II, The Oosterhof, Heggerenk, Oranjebuurt, Transvaalbuurt, Vogelbuurt, Industriewijk, Vulcanusbuurt and Vossenhoek.
Townships of Vaassen
De Hegge, De Jonas, Geerstraat, Hafkamp, Kortenbroek, 't Laar, Niersen, Vaassense Broek and De Uulenberg.
Sightseeing in Vaassen
- Daams' Mill. An in 1990 restored 8-square wind mill with a corn mill function. To ensure the windage of the mill, but also the development of the center of Vaassen, by mid-2012 the mill will be raised with 4.8 meters. The raising has to do with the so-called wind rights.
- Ad van der Meer en Onno Boonstra, "Repertorium van Nederlandse gemeenten", KNAW, 2006. 
- Codex Laureshamis
- Groenedijk, T. (2000). Nederlandse plaatsnamen. Hoogeveen: Slingenberg Boekproducties. p. 162. ISBN 90-76113-81-5.
- J. Kuyper, Gemeente Atlas van Nederland, 1865-1870, "Vaassen". Map of the former municipality, around 1868.
- Site of the town of Vaassen
- Municipality Epe
- Historical association Ampt Epe
- Museum Vaassen History
- Soccer club SV Vaassen
- Cavente Children's Village
- Broken Wings Vaaassen
- Friends of the Daams' Mill Association (in Dutch)
|This Gelderland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|