||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)|
Rushworth at the stage door of the Shaftesbury Theatre after a performance of Hairspray, April 2009
|Born||Verity Charlotte Rushworth
15 August 1985
|Spouse(s)||Dominic Michael Shaw |
Verity Charlotte Rushworth (born 15 August 1985 in Bradford, West Yorkshire) is an English actress who is best known for her role as Donna Windsor-Dingle in the ITV1 soap Emmerdale, having taken over the role from Sophie Jeffery in 1998.
Life and career
In 1997, Rushworth had minor roles in ITV programmes such as Heartbeat. In 1998, at the age of 12, she went on to play her most notable role of Donna Windsor in the ITV1 soap Emmerdale, having taken over the role from Sophie Jeffery who played the part from 1993–1997. In an interview, Rushworth stated that Sammy Winward is her closest friend from the show.
In December 2006, Rushworth appeared in an Emmerdale edition of Family Fortunes, with other members of the Windsors.
In January 2007, Rushworth was a contestant on the celebrity singing contest, Soapstar Superstar, in which she came 9th. While on the show, she performed the following songs:
- Day 1: Runaway (The Corrs)
- Day 2: I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers in My Hair) (Sandi Thom)
- Day 3: I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Whitney Houston)
In September 2007, she appeared on Ghosthunting With The Dingles with other members of her on-screen family.
After appearing on the show for over 10 years, Riushworth filmed her final scenes at the end of 2008 which were later aired in January 2009.
From 2 February 2009, she made her West End debut by playing the role of Penny Pingleton in the hit musical Hairspray, taking over the role from Elinor Collett. The show continued until March 2010.
On 5 June 2010, Rushworth appeared on the BBC One programme Hole in the Wall.
In January 2011, Rushworth took over the role of Maria in the UK tour of The Sound Of Music from Connie Fisher and she is currently playing the lead role of Penny Lane in the UK Tour of Carnaby Street - The Musical.[when?]
Rushworth played the role of Velma in Chicago at Curve Theatre, Leicester from November 2013 to January 2014 
On 6 January 2014, it was announced that Rushworth would be returning to Emmerdale to reprise the role of Donna Windsor-Dingle after a five-year-absence. Rushworth began filming in February, and returned on screen on 19 March 2014. It was announced that she will be back as Donna for 5 months and departed on 14 August 2014.
- Hairspray - Penny Pingleton (2009–2010 London West End)
- Departure Lounge - Sophie (2010)
- The Sound Of Music - Maria (2011 UK Tour)
- Annie - Grace Farrel (2011 - West Yorkshire Playhouse)
- Seven Year Itch - Salisbury Playhouse - March 2012
- Merrily We Roll Along (musical) - Theatr Clwyd - May 2012,
- "Dominic and Verity's wedding". Verityanddom.are.gettingmarried.co.uk. 2013-03-09. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- Yorkshire Evening Post - The West End Girl: Meet Leeds’ own Verity Rushworth INTERVIEW
- Wharfedale Observer - Rawdon's Verity comes home in musical classic
- Derbyshire Council (Verity Rushworth interview)
- Daniels, Colin (26 March 2011). "Verity Rushworth: 'I'd love Fair City role'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 26 March 2011.
- Brown, David (8 January 2014). "Emmerdale: Verity Rushworth to return as Marlon's ex-wife Donna". Radio Times. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Mark Shenton (2012-05-10). "The Stage / Reviews / Merrily We Roll Along". Thestage.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-11-20.