Roth at the film premiere of Divergent in California on March 18, 2014
|Born||Veronica Anne Roth
August 19, 1988
New York City, New York, United States
|Occupation||Novelist and short story writer|
|Genre||Young Adult, Dystopian|
|Notable works||Divergent trilogy|
Veronica Roth (born August 19, 1988) is an American novelist and short story writer known for her debut New York Times bestselling Divergent trilogy, consisting of Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant; and Four: A Divergent Collection. Divergent was the recipient of the Goodreads Favorite Book of 2011 and the 2012 winner for Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction.
Roth was born in New York City on August 19, 1988 and was raised primarily in Barrington, Illinois. Her mother, Barbara Ross, is a painter who resides in Barrington. She is the youngest of three children. Her parents divorced when she was five years old, and her mother has since remarried to Frank Ross, a financial consultant for landscape companies. Her brother and sister live in the Chicago area.
Her mother's family is Polish. Roth says of her father: "He had a job, and worked far away. Now I have a good relationship with my stepdad" Her maternal grandparents were concentration camp survivors, whose religious convictions pushed her mother away from religion. Veronica Roth learned about the Christian religion by attending a Christian Bible study during her high school years, and has stayed with it.
Roth graduated from Barrington High School. After attending a year of college at Carleton College, she transferred to Northwestern University for its creative writing program. She married photographer Nelson Fitch in 2011. They reside in the Chicago area.
She is the recipient of the Goodreads 2011 Choice Award and the Best of 2012 in the category Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction and also Best Goodreads Author in 2012. Roth wrote her first book, Divergent, while on winter break in her senior year at Northwestern University. Her career took off rapidly with the success of her first novel, with the movie rights sold before she graduated from college.
Roth sold the film rights to the Divergent series to Summit Entertainment. Filming of Divergent, the adaptation of the first book in the series, was started in April 2013, and the film was released in March 2014. On March 21, 2014, Lionsgate officially greenlit the film adaptation of Insurgent. Insurgent will begin filming in Atlanta in May, 2014 and is scheduled to be released on March 20, 2015. On April 11, 2014, Summit Entertainment announced that the third book Allegiant would split into two films titled Allegiant - Part 1 and Allegiant - Part 2, with Part 1 scheduled to be released on March 18, 2016 and Part 2 on March 24, 2017.
Four short stories from Tobias Eaton's point of view are outlined; one is available, while three will be released in 2014. The Transfer is the first of four short stories, which tells some of Tobias's life prior to Divergent. It was released on September 3, 2013. The second story is titled The Initiate. In December 2013, Roth posted on her site that publication of the last three stories has been delayed until July 2014. They will be sold separately as e-books and also bound together under the title Four: A Divergent Story Collection. This book will also feature Free Four: Tobias Tells the Story chapter thirteen of Divergent in Tobias's point of view. The last two short stories of Tobias's stories are titled The Son and The Traitor.
- The Divergent trilogy:
- Divergent related publications:
- The Shards and Ashes anthology:
- Hearken (2013), a short story
- "Results for Favorite Book of 2011". Goodreads.com.
- "Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction, 2012 award". Goodreads.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Natalie Wainwright (5 July 2011). "'Divergent': A Bestseller Built in Evanston".
- Lizluby (6 October 2013). "365BarringtonTV Interviews DIVERGENT Author Veronica Roth". Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Christopher Borrelli (22 October 2013). "The next YA superstar?". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- First Jumper (May 1, 2012). "Missed the Twitter Chat? Not to Worry~Full Trancript of Veronica Roth's Q & A Session [5/1] #InsurgentDay". Divergent Fans (unofficial fan site). Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- James Kidd (January 5, 2014). "'I don't want smut on the page': Divergent author Veronica Roth on sex and teen fiction". The Independent (UK). Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Christian Take on Banning SPEAK". blogspot. VeronicaRothBooks. 29 September 2010. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- Leopold, Wendy (5 May 2010). "A Book Contract Already! Weinberg undergraduate gets a three-book deal from HarperCollins". Northwestern.edu. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- Bock, Cathy and David. "Veronica and Nelson Married". Cathy and David Photographers.
- USA Today (April 17, 2013). "Veronica Roth 'Divergent' video reveal: Book 3 is ...". USA Today. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Best Goodreads Author in 2012". Goodreads.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Truitt, Brian (March 29, 2012). "Exclusive trailer and interview: 'Insurgent' by Veronica Roth". USA Today. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- Dominus, Susan (May 12, 2011). "In This Dystopia, Teens Must Choose Wisely". The New York Times. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- Crowder, Courtney (2012). "Chicago novelist sells film rights". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved April 13, 2012.
- Mali Elfman (2011-07-21). "Comic-Con 2011: Veronica Roth from Divergent Press Conference". Screencrave.com. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- Kung, Michelle (July 23, 2011). "‘Divergent’ Author Veronica Roth on Her Film Adaptation". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "‘Divergent’ Debuts to $4.9 Million, Lionsgate Greenlights ‘Insurgent’". Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- Luis Gomez (March 6, 2014). "'Divergent' sequel will film in Atlanta, but what about Chicago?". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "Lionsgate Splitting Third ‘Divergent’ Book ‘Allegiant’ into Two Films". Variety.
- "The Transfer: A Divergent Story". HarperTeen.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "The Initiate: A Divergent Story unabridged". HarperTeen.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Veronica Roth (December 7, 2013). "News About the "Four" Stories". Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- "Four". HarperTeen.com. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Roth, Veronica (February 19, 2013). "Excerpt from "Hearken," from the Shards and Ashes anthology!". Veronica Roth. Retrieved November 6, 2013.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Veronica Roth|
- Official website
- Review of Divergent at theguardian.com
- Veronica Roth at Goodreads
- Works by Veronica Roth at Open Library
- Veronica Roth at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Veronica Roth at the Internet Movie Database
- Veronica Roth at Library of Congress Authorities, with 8 catalog records