Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Neil Burger|
|Produced by||Lucy Fisher
|Screenplay by||Evan Daugherty
by Veronica Roth
|Music by||Junkie XL
|Cinematography||Alwin H. Küchler|
|Editing by||Richard Francis-Bruce|
Red Wagon Entertainment
|Distributed by||Summit Entertainment
Divergent is an upcoming American science fiction adventure film directed by Neil Burger, based on the novel of the same name by Veronica Roth. The film is produced by Lucy Fisher, Pouya Shabazian and Douglas Wick, with a screenplay by Evan Daugherty and Vanessa Taylor. It stars Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Zoë Kravitz, Ansel Elgort, Maggie Q, Jai Courtney, Miles Teller and Kate Winslet. The story takes place in a dystopian post-apocalyptic version of Chicago. Divergent is scheduled to be released on March 21, 2014 in the United States.
In a futuristic Chicago, people are divided into five distinct factions based on their personalities. Beatrice "Tris" Prior discovers that she is Divergent, meaning she does not fit into any one faction, and soon uncovers a sinister plot brewing in her seemingly perfect society.
- Shailene Woodley as Beatrice "Tris" Prior
- Theo James as Tobias "Four" Eaton
- Ansel Elgort as Caleb Prior
- Ray Stevenson as Marcus Eaton
- Kate Winslet as Jeanine Matthews
- Zoë Kravitz as Christina
- Maggie Q as Tori
- Jai Courtney as Eric
- Miles Teller as Peter
- Ben Lamb as Edward
- Mekhi Phifer as Max
- Ben Lloyd-Hughes as Will
- Christian Madsen as Al
- Tony Goldwyn as Andrew Prior
- Ashley Judd as Natalie Prior
- Amy Newbold as Molly Atwood
- Justine Wachsberger as Lauren
In March 2011, Summit Entertainment picked up the rights from for Divergent with Douglas Wick and Lucy Fisher's production company Red Wagon Entertainment. Neil Burger was announced as the director on August 23, 2012. The screenplay is written by Evan Daugherty who said, "I get hung up on the toughness of the movie but of equal importance is the love story between Tris and Four. It's inherently and inextricably linked to Tris' character journey. There will be plenty of sexual tension and chemistry, but it's important that all of that stuff doesn't just feel like it's thrown in, but that it all helps Tris grow as a character." Daugherty, who co-wrote the script with Vanessa Taylor, further added, "It's tricky because the book is a very packed read with a lot of big ideas. So, distilling that into a cool, faithful two-hour movie is challenging. Not only do you have to establish five factions, but you have to acknowledge that there's a sixth entity, which is the divergent, and you also have the factionless. So there's a world that really has to be built out for the big screen… the movie is going to do it a little more efficiently." Author Veronica Roth said about the script of the film: "Reading a script is a really interesting experience. I'd never read a script before. I was really impressed by how closely it stuck to the general plot line of the book."
Initially budget of the film was $40 million but later Lionsgate increased it to $80 million due to the success of The Hunger Games. Analyst Ben Mogil said, "Divergent is more similar to Hunger Games in that the company owns the underlying economics (i.e. production) and the budget (at $80mn) is more manageable."
On October 22, 2012 it was announced that Shailene Woodley had landed the lead role of Tris Prior. Lucas Till, Jack Reynor, Jeremy Irvine, Alex Pettyfer, Brenton Thwaites, Alexander Ludwig and Luke Bracey were all considered for the role of Tobias "Four" Eaton. On March 15, 2013, it was announced that Theo James had been cast as Four.
Though James was 10 years older than the character when cast, Roth praised his casting "I was sure within seconds: this was 'Four', no question. Theo is able to capture 'Four's' authority and strength, as well as his depth and sensitivity." She also mentions the chemistry between him and Shailene: "He is a perfect match for Shailene's incredibly strong presence as Tris. I'm thrilled!" The producers said about his casting: "We took our time to find the right actor to fill the role of Four, and Theo is definitely the perfect fit. Veronica has crafted a truly iconic character in Four and we cannot wait to begin production and bring him and this story to life for millions of fans around the world."
Ray Stevenson, Jai Courtney and Aaron Eckhart were announced to be in talks to join the cast on March 15, 2013, Stevenson and Courtney joined the cast as Marcus Eaton and Eric, respectively. Kate Winslet was announced to be in talks on January 24, 2013. Later it was confirmed that she would portray Jeanine Matthews. Talking about playing the negative character first time, Winslet said, "I'm no idiot. The idea went through my head that I have never played a baddie before, I was almost kind of surprised." Since Winslet joined the filming late, she used that distance from her co-stars to appear aloof on the first day of her shoot. "I wanted to break it and say, 'It's OK, I'm really fun. I promise.' But I thought, just for today, I'd let them think that I am a complete bitch."
Filming began in Chicago in April 2013 and concluded on July 16, 2013. Virtually all production photography took place in Chicago; many of the interior locations were filmed at Cinespace Chicago Film Studios. Scenes for the "choosing ceremony" were shot at 17th Church of Christ, Scientist, Chicago on East Wacker in downtown Chicago. Filming also took place at the Navy Pier Ferris Wheel; the entire area was treated with dirt and rust to appear more dystopian. Additional scenes were shot at 57th Street and Ellis Avenue near University of Chicago, at Federal Street where fake EL tracks were constructed and at Michigan Avenue.
For the Abnegation sector, the production team constructed the set on Wells Street in downtown Chicago. In late June, filming took place at 1500 S Western Avenue and 600 S. Wells Street, Chicago. In the last schedule, filming moved to the Chicago River and continued at Lake Street Bridge, Wacker Drive and LaSalle Street Bridge.
Post-production work began after filming wrapped up on July 16, 2013. On July 18, Summit and Lionsgate issued a joint statement announcing the film will be released in IMAX format: "We're delighted to continue our successful collaboration with IMAX, with whom we have already partnered on the global blockbuster Hunger Games and Twilight Saga franchises, and we're especially pleased that we can introduce our newest young adult franchise, Divergent, to the movie going public in the premium IMAX format that celebrates its status as a special and memorable event."
The first image of Shailene Woodley as Tris Prior was revealed by Entertainment Weekly on April 24, 2013. A few seconds sneak preview footage of the film was shown at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. On June 7, Entertainment Weekly released a still of Theo James (Four) showing the Dauntless initiates around their new headquarters. The magazine released several more stills on July 19. On July 16, USA Today released the first image of Kate Winslet as Jeanine Matthews.
On July 18, 2013 Summit held a sold-out San Diego Comic-Con panel in Hall H. Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Maggie Q, Zoe Kravitz, Ansel Elgort, Ben Lloyd-Hughes, Amy Newbold, Miles Teller, Christian Madsen, director Neil Burger, and author Veronica Roth attended the panel and answered fan questions along with showing them exclusive film clips.
On August 22, 2013 a sneak peek of the first teaser trailer was released by MTV. The full teaser was released on August 25, 2013 during the pre-show of the MTV Video Music Awards. Two official posters featuring Woodley and James as Tris and Four and highlighting their tattoos were released on September 23, 2013. Neil Burger released the full official trailer on November 13, 2013.
- "Hans Zimmer to produce Junkie XL’s ‘Divergent’ score". Retrieved November 19, 2013.
- "Junkie XL to Score ‘Divergent’". Retrieved November 19, 2013.
- "Analysts Boost Lionsgate Price Target on 'Ender's Game', 'Divergent' Prospects". reelchicago.com. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "Neil Burger's DIVERGENT Starring Shailene Woodley, Theo James, and Kate Winslet to Be Released in IMAX". Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "'Divergent': Shailene Woodley Braves Initiation in New Film Still (Photo)". Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "'Divergent': The movie's most highly anticipated scenes -- and a few we're worried about". Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "Summit Sets Release Date for Film Adaptation of 'Divergent'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- Brevet, Brad (May 3, 2013). "First Look at Shailene Woodley in 'Divergent'". Rope of Silicon. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- Summit Entertainment's Post-'Twilight' Plans Are 'Divergent'. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- White, James (August 23, 2012). "Neil Burger Wants To Be Divergent". Empire. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- 'Divergent' Movie Scoop: Screenwriter Evan Daugherty Spills on the Adaptation. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- 'Game of Thrones' writer Vanessa Taylor joins 'Divergent' to co-write script. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- Christina Radish (May 2013). "Author Veronica Roth Talks DIVERGENT, the Film's Casting, How Neil Burger's Vision Compares to Her Own, the Final Book ALLEGIANT, and More". Archived from the original on 2013-06-19. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "Shailene Woodley Talks 'Divergent' Movie Casting". Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "Who Has 'Divergent' Chemistry With Shailene Woodley?". Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "Jack Reynor Lands Starring Role in 'Transformers 4'". Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- 'Divergent' has found its 'Four'! Theo James talks about starring in the next big YA franchise. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "Veronica Roth and Lionsgate Movie Studio Respond to Theo James Casting in The Divergent Movie". Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- White, James (March 15, 2013). "Aaron Eckhart May Be Divergent". Empire. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "'Die Hard 5' star Jai Courtney joins Shailene Woodley in 'Divergent'". Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- White, James (January 24, 2013). "Kate Winslet May Be Divergent". Empire. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Kate Winslet cast in young adult film 'Divergent". Daily News (New York). Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "On set of 'Divergent,' Kate Winslet is pregnant and mean". Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- West, Kimmy (April 26, 2013). "Picture and video from 'Divergent' movie set in Chicago: Houses in Abnegation? What do you think this is?". Page to Premiere. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- Vilkomerson, Sara (April 24, 2013). "First Look: Shailene Woodley faces knives in 'Divergent' -- EXCLUSIVE PHOTO". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Comic-Con 2013: Shailene Woodley Says 'Divergent' Is Not a Superhero Movie". Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Blockbuster summer awaits movie-set fans Divergent, Jupiter Ascending and Transformers bring Hollywood to Chicago". Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "NEW Filming Location!". Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "'Divergent' movie set photos: Hugely anticipated ferris wheel scene being filmed on Navy Pier". Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "'Divergent' filming around the University of Chicago & 600 S Wells St this weekend". Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "New photos and videos of 'Divergent' filming in Chicago this weekend!". Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "UPDATE New 'Divergent' filming locations spotted in Chicago for May 24, 2013". Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Divergent Movie Set Update: More Images from The Abnegation Set". Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Video of 'Divergent' filming at 600 S. Wells St in Chicago". Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Filming along Chicago River this week for Divergent". Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "'Divergent' Hits Comic-Con!". Yahoo! News. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Neil Burger's DIVERGENT Starring Shailene Woodley, Theo James, and Kate Winslet to Be Released in IMAX". Collider.com. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- Anderton, Ethan (April 24, 2013). "First Look: Shailene Woodley Faces Knives in 'Divergent' Adaptation". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "Divergent film footage was shown at Cannes Film Festival". Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- New 'Divergent' photo! Here is the first picture of (drumroll) Theo James as Four -- EXCLUSIVE. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "'Divergent': Tris and Four Pics!". Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "First Footage From YA Adaptation 'Divergent' Shown to Fans". Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "‘Divergent’ Teaser Image and Trailer Preview Promise Something Big". Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "‘Divergent’ movie trailer to debut at this Sunday’s MTV VMAs?". Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "Divergent Movie Teaser Image Promises Something Big Coming To The MTV VMAs". Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "Divergent official trailer". Retrieved August 26, 2013.
- "'Divergent': First Trailer Debuts During MTV VMAs Pre-Show (Video)". Retrieved August 26, 2013.
- "Watch: First 'Divergent' Trailer and 9 New Pictures". Retrieved August 26, 2013.
- "'Divergent' Movie News Update: Summit Entertainment Unveils First Two Posters". Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- "‘Divergent’ releases two gorgeous posters highlighting Tris, Four, and their tattoos". Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- "Divergent - Action packed full trailer". Retrieved November 19, 2013.
- "The Full Divergent Trailer Is Everything We Hoped For". Retrieved November 19, 2013.
- Trumbore, Dave (May 7, 2013). "Summit Sets Brian Duffield to Pen DIVERGENT Sequel, INSURGENT". Collider.com. Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- Divergent at the Internet Movie Database
- Divergent at allmovie
- Divergent at Box Office Mojo
- Divergent at Metacritic
- Divergent at Rotten Tomatoes