Victims of the Modern Age
|Victims of the Modern Age|
|Studio album by Star One|
|Released||October 25, 2010 (USA)
1 November, 2010 (Europe)
|Recorded||March - August 2010, Electric Castle Studios. Drums recorded at Sandlane Recording Facilities|
|Genre||Progressive metal, space rock, power metal|
|Producer||Arjen Anthony Lucassen|
|Star One chronology|
|Arjen Anthony Lucassen chronology|
Victims of the Modern Age is the second studio album by Arjen Anthony Lucassen's progressive metal project/supergroup Star One, released on the recording label Inside Out in 2010. The album continues the style introduced on Star One's previous studio album by mixing progressive metal and space rock.
Like on their previous album, the themes of the album's songs are based on science fiction movies or TV series, however it is focused on dystopian or post-apocalyptic movies. The title of the album is a quote from Kubrick's film A Clockwork Orange.
The album was released in two editions: a regular, and a special edition with 2 CDs. It was also the first time Lucassen released a second studio album with one of his side-projects.
Victims of the Modern Age has received critical acclaim, with many critics praising Lucassen's composition abilities and the voices of the four singers: Craig Hartranft of DangerDog.com stated "Lucassen and his talented crew have created a terrific and entertaining work, excelling beyond their past achievements" and "strongly recommended" the album, giving it the maximum rating. It was later chosen as one of the fifteen Albums of the Year by Dangerdog with the words "Arjen Anthony Lucassen is a bloody genius. He's a classical Baroque composer reborn in our time to write timeless music".
Metal Storm gave the album a very good review, with the reviewer stating "In the end all I have to say is that I for one like this album, been a while since I was this happy with the end result." It also praised the singers who were "all brilliant and so different from each other". The webzine Sea of Tranquillity stated "Arjen gives his listeners something to enjoy with a few new twists and turns but mainly it rocks and that is the most important factor", giving the album the maximum rating.
Blistering.com also gave a positive review of the album with a rating of 8/10, stating "As cliché as this sounds, Victims of the Modern Age is nothing like you’ll hear all year, the wry combination of the right tones and voices, with a batch of songs that are quite refreshing in today’s climate".
|1.||"Down the Rabbit Hole"||1:20|
|3.||"Earth That Was"||6:08|
|4.||"Victim of the Modern Age"||6:27|
|5.||"Human See, Human Do"||5:14|
|8.||"It's Alive, She's Alive, We're Alive"||5:07|
|9.||"It All Ends Here" (A. "I Think Therefore I Am" / B. "Four Years" / C. "It All Ends Here)||9:46|
|CD 2 (Special Edition only)|
|1.||"As the Crow Dies"||Mike Andersson||4:42|
|2.||"Two Plus Two Equals Five"||Rodney Blaze, Dan Swanö||5:04|
|3.||"Lastday"||Arjen Anthony Lucassen||4:46|
|4.||"Closer to the Stars"||Tony Martin||5:11|
|5.||"Knife Edge" (Emerson, Lake & Palmer cover)||Damian Wilson, Lucassen, Floor Jansen, Sir Russell Allen||4:25|
|6.||"The Making of Victims of the Modern Age" (Video)||35:00|
The names of the album's songs are based on the following science-fiction films or television shows:
- "Down the Rabbit Hole" - Introductory Song/The Matrix (In allusion to Alice in Wonderland)
- "Digital Rain" - The Matrix
- "Earth That Was" - Firefly / Serenity
- "Victim of the Modern Age" - A Clockwork Orange
- "Human See, Human Do" - Planet of the Apes
- "24 Hours" - Escape from New York
- "Cassandra Complex" - 12 Monkeys
- "It's Alive, She's Alive, We're Alive" - Children of Men
- "It All Ends Here" - Blade Runner
- "As the Crow Dies" - The Road
- "Two Plus Two Equals Five" - Nineteen Eighty-Four
- "Lastday" - Logan's Run
- "Closer to the Stars" - Gattaca
- "Arjen Lucassen reveals the Star One album release dates @ Arjen Lucassen official website". Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- "Arjen Lucassen interview @ Metalunderground.com". Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- "STAR ONE: Interview mit Arjen Lucassen (German)". Retrieved 2012-04-17.
- About 2010
- Blabbermouth.net 2010
- Blistering.com 2010
- Dangerdog.com 2010
- "Dangerdog's list of albums of the year". Dangerdog.com. Retrieved 2011-08-02.
- "LIMITED EDITION 2-CD MEDIABOOK INFO". Retrieved 2010-10-29.