West Town Mall
|Location||Kingston Pike, Interstate 40, and Interstate 75 Knoxville , USA|
|Management||Simon Property Group|
|Owner||Simon Property Group|
|No. of stores and services||150+ stores|
|No. of anchor tenants||5|
|Total retail floor area||1,330,000 square feet (124,000 m2)
|No. of floors||1|
|Website||West Town Mall Website|
West Town Mall is an upscale shopping mall located in Knoxville, Tennessee, United States. Opened in August 1972, this one-level mall is located in the western portion of Knoxville in the West Hills community. West Town Mall is located along Interstates 40/75 and Kingston Pike. The mall has over 1,300,000 square feet (120,000 m2) of Gross leasable area, making it the largest of any enclosed shopping mall in Tennessee.
- Dillard's (opened as Miller's Department Store, then later Hess's. 243,110 sq ft.)
- Belk (Opened as Proffitt's, became Belk. Converted to Store for Women May 2007, 103,000 sq ft.)
- Sears, Roebuck and Company (original anchor, 182,140 sq ft.)
- JC Penney (Original anchor, moved to occupy pad space originally slated for Parks-Belk in 1994. 147,282 sq ft.)
- Belk (former Parisian - Men,Children Home. 144,000 sq ft.)
- Proffitt's (Original 1972 Anchor. Store enlarged and moved into in-line store areas. Included lower level for the Home Store.) Converted to Belk in 2006.)
- Miller's Department Store (Original 1972 Anchor. 2 level store. Converted to Hess's in 1987.)
- Hess's (1987 to 1992 in Original Miller's location. Closed in 1992. Converted to Dillard's in 1993 and expanded.)
- Frankenbergers (1972 to 1982. Junior Anchor in center of mall. Closed in 1982/1983 and converted into first Food Court in Upper East Tennessee.)
- Parisian (1994-2007. Occupied pad location for proposed Dillard's until the purchase of Hess's parent company.)
There are 40 Knoxville stores exclusive to West Town including Abercrombie & Fitch, Swarovski, Guess, Apple Store, J. Crew, Banana Republic, White House/Black Market, Ann Taylor, Brooks Brothers, Crabtree & Evelyn, Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, Godiva Chocolatier, Tommy Hilfiger, Sephora, Lucky Brand Jeans, Brookstone and Coach.
There is a food court in the center of the mall. This was the original location of a junior anchor Frankenbergers Department Store. This food court was the first mall location for Knoxville-based Petro's Chili & Chips.
West Town Mall has had two different theaters in its life. The first was a round theater on an out parcel at the corner of Morrell Rd and Kingston Pike. The building was demolished before the mall's major renovations of the 1990s.
In 1998, Knoxville based Regal Entertainment Group opened a Funscape entertainment complex in the mall. The location was the former upper level of JC Penney that had been stripped of its walls and roof in the 1990s renovation and addition. The lower level space had been converted to a main hallway and retail space and the upper level became the theater complex and entertainment area. The theater is still there, but part of the entertainment area was closed by Regal.
- http://www.simon.com/mall/LeasingSheet%5CWest_Town.pdf Factual Information on West Town Mall
- http://www.petros.com/1.22/html/h_history.htm Petro's moves to malls after the World's Fair.
- http://weeklywire.com/ww/12-14-98/knox_cover.html Deconstructing the Mall