|No. of counties:||10|
|• Total||79,319 km2 (30,625 sq mi)|
|• Density||7.8/km2 (20/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Western Equatoria is one of the 10 states of South Sudan. It has an area of 79,319 km². Its capital is Yambio. The state is divided into counties, each headed by a County Commissioner. Western Equatoria seceded from Sudan as part of the Republic of South Sudan on 9 July 2011.
In the middle of twentieth century, after Sudan's independence in 1956, a number of southern Sudanese independence liberation movements, such as the Anyanya and the Sudan People's Liberation Army/Movement (SPLA/M), led by John Garang de Mabior, made their impact on the area, as they envisioned a New Sudan.
In 2005 a peace treaty was signed, but there is still some insurgent activity.
The Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), under the command of Joseph Kony, moved its base from Uganda to the southern Sudan border with the Democratic Republic of Congo, and operates in the Western Equatoria region. Before the 2005 peace deal, the LRA had used Western Equatoria as a base for its operations against the Ugandan government of President Yoweri Museveni. But SPLA troop patrols in the region largely maintain control.
There are a total of 10 counties in Western Equatoria:
- Yambio County
- Nzara County
- Ibba County
- Ezo County
- Maridi County
- Tambora County
- Mundri West County
- Mvolo County
- Nagero County
- Mundri East County
Other Important Towns in Western Equatoria,Duma, Namatina, Nagero Lui,Jambo,Rasul,Mambe,Kotobi,Yarri,Madebe,Bangasu,Rimenze,Bazungua,Ringasi,Diabio,Yangiri,Naandi,Andari,Ri-Yubu,Mopai,Nadiangere,James Diko,Ri-Rangu,Nabiapai,Gangura,Sakure,Birisi,Ndoromo,Basukangbi,
Economy and demographics
The economy of Western Equatoria is largely agricultural, with high quality timber being one of its most important products.
Western Equatoria is home of the Azande people, the third largest nationality in South Sudan.
- Governor: Col Joseph Bakosoro
- Secretary General for the Government: Simon Bakama
- Deputy Secretary General: Benjamin Commander Gayos
- Deputy Governor : Sapana Abui
- Minister of Finance, Trade & Industry: John Russie
- Mninister of Labor Public servvice and Human Reource: Jackcilia Ebere Salatier
- Minister of Commerce, Trade and Investment: Simon Ngbidigi
- Minister of Local Government & Law Enforcement: Daniel Zingifuaboro
- Minister of Education, Science & Technology: Hon. Phillip Pia
- Minister of Health: John Gbono
- Minister of Iformation and Communication: Charles Barnaba Kisanga
- Minister of Agriculture, Animal Resource and Forestry (MAAF): West Yugulle
- Minister of Gender,Child and Social Welfare: Jenifer Dawa
- Minister Physical Infrastructure and Public Utilities: Clement Mbugoniwia
- Minister of Youth and Sports: Gibson Bullen wande
- Political Affairs: Mathias Onji
- Security Affairs: Samuel Bati
- Local Government: Joseph Sabun
=Chairpersons of Commissions
- Employees Justice Chamber,Angelo Bakote Mboringba
- Civil Service Commission: Awad Kisanga Said
- Public Grievance Chamber: Ayub Gaza
- Land Commission: Alfred Riruyo
State Assembly Business Committees
- Speaker: Mr.James Bage
- Deputy Speaker: Hana Lona Bona
- Yambio County: John Elia Kuzee
- Nzara County: Elia Box
- Ezo County: Mudie
- Tambura County: Charles Babiro
- Nagero County: Minialla Joseph Mark
- Ibba County: Hon Nagomoro Bridget
- Maridi County: Mathius Boy Onji
- Mundri-East: Lieutenant Colonel Wilson Api
- Mundri-West: Hon Lexon Mabrouk
- Mvolo County: Hon. James Abdullai
- South Sudan Equatorians Association Inc.
- South Sudan, the former Southern Sudan.
- Central Equatoria
- Eastern Equatoria
- Gurtong Azande Retrieved: 22 September 2010