William Gaines (American football)
No. 93, 95
|Date of birth:June 20, 1971|
|Place of birth: Jackson, Mississippi|
|High school: Lanier High School
|College: University of Florida|
|NFL Draft: 1994 / Round: 5 / Pick: 147|
|Debuted in 1994 for the Miami Dolphins|
|Last played in 2004 for the Orlando Predators|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of 1997
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
|Stats at DatabaseFootball.com|
|Stats at ArenaFan.com|
William Albert Gaines (born June 20, 1971) is a former American college and professional football player who was a defensive lineman in the National Football League (NFL) for four seasons during the 1990s. Gaines played college football for the University of Florida, and thereafter, he played professionally for the Washington Redskins and Miami Dolphins of the NFL.
Gaines received an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Steve Spurrier's Florida Gators football team from 1990 to 1993. He was a member of the Gators teams that won Southeastern Conference (SEC) championships in 1991 and 1993. As a senior team captain in 1993, Gaines was a first-team All-SEC selection, and the recipient of the Gators' Fergie Ferguson Award recognizing the "senior football player who displays outstanding leadership, character and courage."
The Miami Dolphins drafted Gaines in the fifth round (147th pick overall) of the 1994 NFL Draft, and he played for the Dolphins for a single season in 1994. He played three seasons for the Washington Redskins from 1995 to 1997. In his four-season NFL career, Gaines started twenty-four of fifty-two NFL games in which he played, and recorded two quarterback sacks, one forced fumble and sixty tackles.
- Florida Gators
- Florida Gators football, 1990–99
- List of Florida Gators football All-Americans
- List of Florida Gators football players
- List of Miami Dolphins players
- List of Washington Redskins players
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, William Gaines. Retrieved July 25, 2010.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, William Gaines. Retrieved July 25, 2010.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 88, 97, 103, 125, 181 (2011). Retrieved August 29, 2011.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 1994 National Football League Draft. Retrieved July 25, 2010.
- National Football League, Historical Players, William Gaines. Retrieved July 25, 2010.
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Fightin' Gators: A History of University of Florida Football, Arcadia Publishing, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (2000). ISBN 978-0-7385-0559-6.
- Nash, Noel, ed., The Gainesville Sun Presents The Greatest Moments in Florida Gators Football, Sports Publishing, Inc., Champaign, Illinois (1998). ISBN 1-57167-196-X.