Willy van de Wiel
|Willy van de Wiel|
15 April 1982 |
|Walk-on music||Freefall by Jeckyll & Hyde|
|Organisation (see split in darts)|
|Current world ranking||(BDO) 33|
|BDO majors - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Last 16: 2010, 2011, 2012|
|World Masters||Last 32: 2013|
|Zuiderduin Masters||Last 24 Group: 2008, 2009, 2010|
|Other tournament wins|
Open Noord Nederland
Willy won the 2008 Norway Open, beating Dave Chisnall, Stephen Bunting and John Henderson before beating Paul Hanvidge in the final. He also made quarter final appearances in the Swiss Open and the Welsh Classic.
He received a wildcard entry into the 2008 Zuiderduin Masters, replacing Remco van Eijden who withdrew from the tournament to play in the 2009 PDC World Darts Championship. He lost both group games, losing 5-0 in legs to Brian Woods and then lost 5-1 to Gary Robson.
Van de Wiel earned one of the non-seeded places for the 2009 BDO World Darts Championship meaning he avoided having to qualify for the event. He drew reigning BDO World Champion Mark Webster in the first round, and lost 3-0. van de Wiel then reached the final of the 2009 Dutch Open, losing to Darryl Fitton.
Van de Wiel won the 2009 Swedish Open, beating local Anders Astrom in the final.
He participated in the 2010 BDO World Darts Championship exiting the tournament in the second round after losing 1-4 to Ted Hankey. van der Wiel won the 2010 Hungarian Open, beating Joey ten Berge 6-5 in the final.
van de Wiel lives with his partner Patty in Rijen and together they have a son named Luca (born 2011)
World Championship Performances
- 2009: 1st Round (lost to Mark Webster 0-3)
- 2010: 2nd Round (lost to Ted Hankey 1-4)
- 2011: 2nd Round (lost to Ross Smith 1-4)
- 2012: 2nd Round (lost to Martin Atkins 2-4)
- 2013: 1st Round (lost to Scott Waites 0-3)
- Darts Database Profile.Retrieved on 2010-12-27.
- 2008 Norway Open.Retrieved on 2010-12-27.
- 2008 Swiss Open.Retrieved on 2010-12-27.
- 2008 Welsh Classic.Retrieved on 2010-12-27.
- 2008 Zuiderduin Masters.Retrieved on 2010-12-27.
- 2009 Dutch Open.Retrieved on 2010-12-27.
- 2009 Swedish Open.Retrieved on 2010-12-27.