Windows Live Toolbar
Windows Live Toolbar
|Stable release||14.0.8064.0206 / 12 February 2009|
|Operating system||Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7|
|Type||Browser extension (Toolbar)|
Windows Live Toolbar was an browser extension toolbar for Internet Explorer. It superseded MSN Search Toolbar. Windows Live Toolbar provided a simple search interface that starts to list results as the user types in a search query, and uses Bing as its search engine. The toolbar also allows users to synchronize their Internet Explorer favorites across multiple computers, and provides an interface to Windows Live and MSN services.
Microsoft also added additional tools to Windows Live Toolbar by acquiring Onfolio and integrating it into Windows Live Toolbar. Onfolio was an online research tool that could be used to collect data from the web and make anotations such as inking and text highlighting. Onfolio could be used to download online pages for offline viewing, including document files such as Adobe PDF. It could also be used as an RSS reader. Users could share the information and feeds collected by Onfolio via email and blogs. After Microsoft acquired Onfolio, it integrated the product with Windows Live Toolbar, which was the only way to get Onfolio. As of August 2008 however, Microsoft announced that the Onfolio has been discontinued.
Older versions of Windows Live Toolbar also provided a form filler and a highlight viewer, but these features have been removed.
Windows Live Toolbar is included with Windows Live Essentials "Wave 3" release. However, it is no longer a part of the "Wave 4" version of Windows Live Essentials (released on 30 September 2010); it is replaced with Bing Bar. According to Microsoft, Windows Live Toolbar was officially discontinued on March 31, 2011.
For the IE Favorites syncing option previously included initially as favorites.live.com and then in the Windows Live Toolbar, it is now part of the Windows Live Essential suite, in the Windows live Mesh solution.
- Weinberg, Nathan (9 March 2006). "Windows Live Toolbar". InsideMicrosoft. Blog News Channel. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "OnFolio Express". Microsoft Partner Pack. Microsoft Corporation. Retrieved 9 July 2010.
- "OnFolio 1.03". Download.com. CNET Networks. 27 February 2009. Retrieved 9 July 2010.
- "Microsoft Enhances Windows Live Toolbar Capabilities With Acquisition of Onfolio". Microsoft News Center. 7 March 2006. Retrieved 9 July 2010.
- "Information about Onfolio product activation and data export". Microsoft Support. Microsoft Corporation. 6 August 2008. Retrieved 9 July 2010.
- "Windows Live Essentials". Microsoft Corporation. Retrieved 9 July 2010. "Windows Live Essentials programs [~snip~] Toolbar: Search instantly from any webpage."
- Sierra, Piero. "Announcing the new Windows Live Essentials beta!". Inside Windows Live blog. Microsoft Corporation.
- "Windows Live Essentials beta". Microsoft Corporation. Retrieved 9 July 2010. "Windows Live Essentials beta programs [~snip~] Bing Bar: Get search results from Bing without leaving the website you're on."
- "Windows Live Mesh and Devices Help Center". Microsoft Corporation. Retrieved 8 May 2011. "If you used Live Mesh beta, Windows Live Toolbar, or Windows Live Sync (all discontinued on March 31, 2011), here’s what you need to know before you start using Windows Live Mesh..."