Wowza Media Server
|Developer(s)||Wowza Media Systems|
|Stable release||3.6.3  / November 1, 2013|
|Operating system||Java-based, platform agnostic: Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, Unix, Windows|
|Type||Enterprise and carrier class server software|
Wowza Media Server is unified server software developed by Wowza Media Systems. The server is used for streaming of live and on-demand video, audio, and RIAs (rich Internet applications) over public and private IP networks to desktop, laptop, and tablet computers, mobile devices, IPTV set-top boxes, internet-connected TV sets, and other network-connected devices. The server is a Java application deployable on the following operating systems: Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, Unix, and Windows.
Wowza Media Server can stream to multiple types of playback clients and devices simultaneously, including the Adobe Flash player, Microsoft Silverlight player, Apple QuickTime Player and iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch), 3GPP mobile phones (Android, BlackBerry OS, Symbian, etc.), IPTV set-top boxes (Amino, Enseo, Roku, Streamit and others), and game consoles such as Wii and PS3.
Wowza Media Server is compatible with all streaming protocols: RTMP, RTMPE, RTMPS, RTMPTE, HDS, HLS, MPEG-DASH, RTSP, RTP, Smooth Streaming, MPEG2, MPEG-TS, and ICY (SHOUTcast / Icecast). The server can also ingest video and audio via Wowza GoCoder™ mobile application.
Version 1.0.x was released on February 19, 2007. This version was originally offered as an alternative to the Adobe Flash Media Server, and supported streamed video, audio and RIA’s for the Flash Player client playback and interaction based on the Real Time Messaging Protocol (RTMP) using content encoded with Spark and VP6 codecs. The original product name was Wowza Media Server Pro.
Version 1.5.x was released on May 15, 2008 and added support for H.264 video and Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) audio, and ingest support for Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP), Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP), MPEG transport stream (MPEG-TS), and ICY (SHOUTcast/Icecast) sources for re-streaming to the Flash Player client.
Version 2.0.x was released on December 17, 2009. The product name was changed to Wowza Media Server 2. This version added outbound H.264 streaming support for Apple HTTP Live Streaming protocol for iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, etc.), Microsoft HTTP smooth streaming for Silverlight player, RTSP/RTP for QuickTime Player and 3GPP mobile devices based on Android, BlackBerry (RIM), Symbian (Symbian Foundation), Palm webOS (now owned by HP), and other platforms, and TV set-top boxes and video game consoles.
Version 3.0.x was released on October 7, 2011. This version added DVR, Live transcoding, and DRM plug-in functionality.
Version 3.5 was released on November 7, 2012. This version added Closed Captioning and a Silverlight® Multicast Player. Live Stream Record and Media Security, previously additional features external to the software, were incorporated into the server software. Media Security DRM plugins with Verimetrix VCAS™, Microsoft® PlayReady, BuyDRM KeyOS™, EZDRM Hosted DRM, AuthenTec DRM Fusion. Wowza also released Wowza StreamLock™ free AddOn which provides 256-bit SSL for RTMPS and HTTPS. The release included enhancements to Wowza Transcoder AddOn; transcoder overlays that can be used for advertising, tilting, watermarks and tickers. Other new features include B-frame support, Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3) pass-through for HLS, MPEG-DASH, HTTP Origin.
Version 3.6 was released June 10, 2013. Wowza Media Server 3.6 adds basic support for Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP (DASH). Expanded support for closed captioning formats for live and video on-demand streams. Allows mobile encoding with GoCoder™.
- Live streaming of video and audio utilizing RTMP, RTP/RTSP and MPEG-TS encoders
- On-demand video or audio streaming and simulated live streaming using playlist functionality
- On-line radio re-streaming from legacy SHOUTcast/Icecast encoders and servers
- Interactive communications: video chat and conferencing; audio/text chat; white boarding, screen sharing, and online games
- Wowza Media Server software is used by individual websites, content delivery networks (CDN), telcos, mobile operators, multiple system operators (MSO), TV and radio broadcasters, universities and schools, worship organizations, government organizations and others.
- Wowza Media Server software is also licensed under OEM agreements to other companies for use in software and hardware products sold under the purchasing company’s brand name.
- 2007 Streaming Media Magazine Editors’ Pick
- 2008 Streaming Media Magazine Editors’ Pick
- 2008 Streaming Media Magazine US Readers’ Choice (Best Server)
- 2009 Streaming Media Magazine US Readers’ Choice (Best Server; Best Streaming Innovation)
- 2010 TV Technology Europe Magazine STAR Award
- 2010 Streaming Media Magazine European Readers’ Choice Awards (Best Server; Best Innovation)
- 2010 WFX New Product Award (Best Overall New Media Product; Best Podcasting, Webcasting, and Website Streaming Media Solution)
- 2011 Streaming Media Magazine European Readers’ Choice Awards (Best Server; Best Streaming Innovation)
- 2012 European Readers' Choice Award (BestServer Software and Best Transcoding Solution)
- 2013 Streaming Media Magazine’s 2013 All-StarTeam named Wowza Co-Founder and CTO Charlie Good
- 2013 Streaming Media European Readers’ Choice Award (Server Hardware/Software)
- 2013 Streaming Media Readers’ Choice Award (Media Server)
- "Wowza Media Server 3.1 to be at Streaming Media East 2012". broadcastengineering.com. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- http://www.wowzamedia.com/2007-02-19.html Wowza Media Server Pro 1.0 Press Release
- http://www.wowzamedia.com/2008-05-15.html Wowza Media Server Pro 1.5 Press Release
- http://www.wowzamedia.com/2009-12-17.html Wowza Media Server 2.0 Press Release
- "Streaming Media - Closed Caption".
- "Streaming Media - GoCoder".
- Official website
- Wowza Media Server 2 review (Streaming Media Magazine)
- Adobe Takes Wowza to Court Over Flash Patents
- March 28, 2012 Wowza Media Systems Receives Minority Investment From Summit Partners
- WSJ - Wowza GoCoder Mobile App Update Brings Live HD Streaming to the iPad
- Wowza Software Powers First Live Public Trial of MPEG-DASH During the London Games
- Wowza Media Systems Acquires Camfoo
- Broadcast Engineering - references
- StreamingMedia.com - references