You Like Me Too Much
|"You Like Me Too Much"|
|Song by the Beatles from the album Help!|
|Released||6 August 1965|
|Recorded||17 February 1965, EMI Studios, London|
|Label||Parlophone, Capitol, EMI|
|Help! track listing|
The song is in the key of G Major and in 4/4 time. There is an introduction using piano and electric piano, with Paul McCartney and George Martin playing two different piano parts on separate ends of the same Steinway grand piano. The Steinway appears only in the song's intro and was overdubbed separately, as were McCartney's bass and Harrison's vocal overdubs. The electric piano is a Hohner Pianet, played by John Lennon, and you can hear the instrument's tremolo being switched off after the intro.
The piano introduction was later used by Bob Dylan for his song "Temporary Like Achilles". The quick transition from G chord to a flat-III (Bflat) is unusual, especially as its F-natural note is melodically sustained against the following D-Major chord (with its concomitant F#) creating a "the most bluesy moment of the entire song." The verse opens with three repetitions of a simple four note motif ("Though you've gone away this morning, you'll be back again tonight") during which the chords mirror the lyrics in shifting from ii (Am chord) on "gone away" to IV (C chord) on "back again" to the tonic (G chord) on "tonight."
The song was recorded on 17 February 1965 in Abbey Road studio 2. It was one of the two songs on Help! written by Harrison, with the other being "I Need You." Help! was the first album since the 1963 release of With the Beatles to include songs written by Harrison.
It was covered by the band Glycerine on the album Harrisongs Volume 2 - A Tribute To George Harrison.
- George Harrison – double-tracked lead vocal, lead guitar
- John Lennon – Hohner Pianet electric piano, acoustic rhythm guitar
- Paul McCartney – bass, piano, harmony vocal
- Ringo Starr – drums, tambourine
- George Martin – piano
- Richie Unterberger. "You Like Me Too Much review". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- Alan W. Pollack (1992). "Notes on "You Like Me Too Much"". Alan W. Pollack's Notes On…. SoundScapes. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- Dominic Pedler. Songwriting Secrets of the Beatles. Omnibus Press, London 2003. p 528