Yung Ho Chang
|Yung Ho Chang|
|Awards||New York Alliance of Architecture Award for young architects, 1992|
|Practice||Atelier Feichang Jianzhu|
He studied at the Nanjing Institute of Technology (now Southeast University) before moving to the US. Then he received his M.Arch. from the University of California, Berkeley and taught in the US for 15 years before returning to Beijing to establish China's first private architecture firm, Atelier FCJZ. He has exhibited internationally as an artist as well as architect and is widely published, including the monograph Yung Ho Chang/Atelier Feichang Jianzhu: A Chinese Practice. His interdisciplinary research focuses on the city, materiality, and tradition. He often combines his research activities with design commissions.
In 1997, he published Feichang Architecture, an album of his works. In 2002, he published The Album for Feichang Jianzhu Atelier 1,2.
He has published many articles in journals including Architecture Today in France, The Art of the Moment in Italy, New Architecture and Space Design in Japan, Architecture in the U.S., Space in Korea, and the World Architecture in Britain.
- Business Week/ Architectural Record China Award (Villa Shizilin) 2006
- China Architectural Arts Award (Hebei Education Publishing House) 2004
- WA Architectural Prize (Villa Shizilin) 2004
- China Architectural Arts Award (Pingod Shopping Street) 2003
- The 2000 UNESCO Prize for the Promotion of the Arts
- Progressive Architecture Citation Award 1996
- New York Alliance of Architecture, 1992 Award for young architects
- Steedman Traveling Fellowship, Washington University in St. Louis 1992
- Winner, 3x3+9 Design Competition, AIA San Francisco Chapter & Architectural Foundation of San Francisco 1991
- Walter B. Sanders Fellowship, University of Michigan 1988 ~ 89
- First Prize, From Table to Tablescape Design Competition, Formica Corporation, US 1988
- First Place, Shinkenchiku Residential Design Competition Japan Architect, Japan 1986
- The first prize of International Competition of the Design of Council House in Japan 1986
- Architectural Painting Award &Brown and Bakewell&Weihe in University of California, Berkeley
- Napack, Jonathan (14 April 2001). "Yung-ho Chang Tries to Restore an Appreciation for Design : A Chinese Architect Goes Home". The New York Times (New York).
- 2nd Day Program - Holcim Forum 2007