January 4, 1878|
|Died||July 22, 1973(aged 95)|
Physical education career
In 1906 he became involved in physical education. In 1908, he started to teach physical education. By 1912, he was teaching it to prospective teachers. In 1911, he introduced Scandinavian gymnastics to Palestine. He taught at the Herzliya High School for 40 years.
Nishri authored the first physical education publications in Hebrew, and established the first physical education and sports terminology in Hebrew. In 1913, he began writing physical education publications in Hebrew, starting with books on gymnastics and football. Over the years, he published scores of such books.
Awards and recognition
Nishri was inducted as a member of the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in 1981. The Wingate Institute established a prize in his honor. In addition, the Wingate Institute's Terner Pedagogical Centre contains the Zvi Nishri Archives.
- Nishri Zvi, (Heb.) A Summary of the Physical Education History, Tel Aviv: The Ministry for Education and Culture, The Department for Physical Training, 1953
- Joseph M. Siegman (1992). The International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- Mekhon Ṿingaiṭ le-ḥinukh gufani (1977). Physical education and sport in the Jewish history and culture: proceedings of the second international seminar, July 1977. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- Haim Kaufman (April 12, 2008). "Physical Education and Sport in Israel". Boeliem.com. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- "חברה קדישא תל אביב יפו והמחוז". Kadisha.biz. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- Etan Bloom (December 1, 2008). "Arthur Ruppin and the Production of the Modern Hebrew Culture". Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- Bernard Postal, Jesse Silver, Roy Silver (1965). Encyclopedia of Jews in Sports. Bloch Pub. Co. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- Raful Eitan (1992). A Soldier's Story: The Life and Times of an Israeli War Hero. SP Books. ISBN 1-56171-094-6. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- Raphael Patai (1971). Encyclopedia of Zionism and Israel. Herzl Press. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- Raful Eitan. A Soldier's Story: The Life and .... Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- Uriel Simri, Mekhon Ṿingaiṭ le-ḥinukh gufani, Israel. Rashut ha-sporṭ ṿeha-ḥinukh-ha-gufani (1979). Comparative physical education and sport: proceedings of an international seminar. Wingate Institute for Physical Education and Sport. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- ".". Israel magazine; Spotlight Publication Ltd. 1969. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- "History: The 1900s". Maccabiusa.com. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- "מכון וינגייט – חיים של איכות Wingate – Units at". Wingate. Retrieved November 3, 2011.