|Studio album by|
|Bill Withers chronology|
+'Justments (pronounced: adjustments) is a 1974 album by Bill Withers, released by Sussex Records. It contains the hit single, "The Same Love That Made Me Laugh" (US #50, Canada #39), which charted during the spring of 1974. It was covered in 1977 by Diana Ross on her LP Baby It's Me.
|Christgau's Record Guide||B+|
Legal tussles between Withers and Sussex prevented further recording sessions until Columbia signed the singer a year later. Columbia bought Withers' back catalog, re-releasing his earlier hit records, but +'Justments was not reissued on CD until 2010.
The album cover shows Withers writing the following explanation of the title:
"Life like most precious gifts gives us the responsibility of upkeep. We are given the responsibility of arranging our own spaces to best benefit our survival. We have the choice of believing or not believing in things like God, friendship, marriage, love, lust or any number of simple but complicated things. We will make some mistakes both in judgement and in fact. We will help some situations and hurt some situations. We will help some people and hurt some people and be left to live with it either way. We must then make some adjustments, or as the old people back home would call them, + 'JUSTMENTS."
"Can We Pretend" features José Feliciano on guitar, and he is featured on congas on "Railroad Man". Withers was a guest musician and composer on the 1973 Feliciano album Compartments.
All tracks written by Bill Withers, except where noted.
|2.||"The Same Love That Made Me Laugh"||3:23|
|5.||"Ruby Lee" (Melvin Dunlap, Bill Withers)||3:16|
|7.||"Can We Pretend" (Denise Nicholas)||3:47|
|9.||"Make a Smile for Me"||3:14|
|10.||"Railroad Man" (Melvin Dunlap, Bill Withers)||6:24|
- Bill Withers - Lead and Backing Vocals, Guitar
- José Feliciano, Benorce Blackmon – Guitar
- José Feliciano - Congas (on "Railroad Man")
- Melvin Dunlap - Bass
- James Gadson - Drums
- John Barnes - Piano
- John Myles - Clavinet
- Dorothy Ashby - Harp
- Chip Steen - Conga
|Billboard Pop Albums||67|
|Billboard Top Soul Albums||7|
|Billboard Hot 100||Cash Box Top 100||US
|1974||"The Same Love That Made Me Laugh"||50||43||10||39|
- Kik, Quint. Bill Withers: + 'Justments > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "Consumer Guide '70s: W". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 089919026X. Retrieved March 22, 2019 – via robertchristgau.com.
- "Bill Withers US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "Bill Withers US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-08-29.