Telephone numbers in Latvia
The Latvian numbering plan is a closed telephone numbering plan. Subscribers' numbers are all a standard length of 8 digits and are used for all calls, even in the same area. Telephone numbering in Latvia is controlled by the Public Utilities Commission and Electronic Communications Office.
Under the current numbering plan in Latvia, all phone numbers are 8 digits long, starting with a 2 or 3 digit, except for smaller towns, which have 4 digits, city code for landlines. For all calls, local and national, all 8 digits must be dialed, except for emergency or other special short numbers.
Dial 00 followed by the remote country code and subscriber number.
- Calling from Latvia to UK (mobile number, 07700 900700): call 00 44 7700 900700
- Calling from Latvia to United States (New York number, 212 555 0145): call 00 1 212 555 0145
- 112 - main
- 01 - fire department
- 02 - police
- 03 or 113 - emergency medical service
- 04 - emergency gas service
112 calls are handled by the State Fire and Rescue Service. If police or medical assistance is required, the call is redirected to the department the caller asks for. 0x-numbers are not reachable from mobile phones on their own but they can be prefixed with +371, e.g. +371 0x.
In July 2010 the number 113 was introduced for emergency medical service, operated by State Emergency Medical Service of Latvia. 113 is reachable from mobile phones, landlines and also payphones.
There are plans to introduce new number 110 for police in 2010 that will be reachable from mobile phones (the current ones will remain in service).
Special service numbers in Latvia may have different lengths, ranging from 3 to 6 digits. Formerly, before changes to the numbering plan were introduced on September 4, 2008, there were only 3 or 4 digit numbers.
- 11x-numbers (except 112, 113) are usually used by telephone companies for special services, such as dialing assistance or phone line damage reports.
- 1xx-numbers are allocated to different companies for client services. Calling costs vary depending on the service provider, e.g. Lattelecom client service number 177 is toll-free for those who call from Lattelecom network phones, but it is not free to those who call from mobile networks.
- 118x-numbers are allocated to inquiry services.
- 16xx-numbers are allocated to network providers (both mobile and landline) for client services. These numbers are available only for calling from particular networks. (Example: 1655 is available only for LMT clients)
- 116xxx-numbers are not allocated yet, but are expected to be used for toll-free non-commercial social services.
- 18xx-numbers are allocated to different companies for various services. Some of these numbers are available for calls, some are sms only.
- 82xxx-Premium-rate services (for example, speaking clock services, such as 82154 or 82174)
- 88xx and 89xx-numbers Premium-rate numbers for services that may include gambling, erotic material or violence.
Some special service number holders have 8-digit geographical numbers to make their services available for access from abroad. Usually these numbers are chosen to be similar to short numbers. (Example: Latvian railway information service number 1181 is accessible from abroad by dialling +37167231181)
- 1xx, 1xxx, xxxx, xxxxx 116xxx Special services (including directory assistance services: 118x)
- 2xxxxxxx mobile numbers
- 5xxxxxxx landlines reserved for future usage
- 60xxxxxx landlines reserved for future usage
- 61xxxxxx landlines reserved for future usage
- 62xxxxxx landlines reserved for future usage
- 630xxxxx landlines for Jelgava District
- 631xxxxx landlines for Tukums District
- 632xxxxx landlines for Talsi District
- 633xxxxx landlines for Kuldiga District
- 634xxxxx landlines for Liepāja District
- 635xxxxx landlines reserved for Ventspils District
- 636xxxxx landlines for Ventspils District
- 637xxxxx landlines for Dobele District
- 638xxxxx landlines for Saldus District
- 639xxxxx landlines for Bauska District
- 640xxxxx landlines for Limbaži District
- 641xxxxx landlines for Cēsis District
- 642xxxxx landlines for Valmiera District
- 643xxxxx landlines for Alūksne District
- 644xxxxx landlines for Gulbene District
- 645xxxxx landlines for Balvi District
- 646xxxxx landlines for Rēzekne District
- 647xxxxx landlines for Valka District
- 648xxxxx landlines for Madona District
- 649xxxxx landlines reserved for Aizkraukle District
- 650xxxxx landlines for Ogre District
- 651xxxxx landlines for Aizkraukle District
- 652xxxxx landlines for Jēkabpils District
- 653xxxxx landlines for Preiļi District
- 654xxxxx landlines for Daugavpils District
- 655xxxxx landlines reserved for Ogre District
- 656xxxxx landlines for Krāslava District
- 657xxxxx landlines for Ludza District
- 658xxxxx landlines for Daugavpils District
- 659xxxxx landlines reserved for Cēsis District
- 66xxxxxx landlines for Riga District
- 67xxxxxx landlines for Riga District
- 680xxxxx landlines reserved for future usage
- 682xxxxx landlines reserved for Valmiera District
- 683xxxxx landlines reserved for Jēkabpils District
- 684xxxxx landlines reserved for Liepāja District
- 685xxxxx Trunked radio networks and virtual private networks
- 686xxxxx landlines reserved for Jelgava District
- 687xxxxx landlines reserved for future usage
- 688xxxxx landlines reserved for future usage
- 689xxxxx Payphone numbers in all Latvian cities (old numeration, until 31.12.2011)
- 69xxxxxx landlines reserved for future usage
- 789xxxxx Payphone numbers in all Latvian cities (new numeration, from 01.01.2012)
- 80x0xxxx Toll-free service numbers
- 810xxxxx Shared cost service numbers
- 82154 Speaking clock service, Latvian speaking (used to be 154 until 01.02.2009 )
- 82174 Speaking clock service, Russian speaking (used to be 174 until 01.02.2009 )
- 90x0xxxx Premium-rate numbers
- "Sabiedrisko pakalpojumu regulēšanas komisija (Public Utilities Commission)". Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- "Elektronisko sakaru direkcija (Electronic Communications Office)". Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- Iekšlietu ministrija (Ministry of the Interior). "Operatīvos dienestus nepastarpināti varēs izsaukt arī no mobilā tālruņa (Emergency services will be reachable directly from mobile phones)" (in Latvian). Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- "Numuru pielietojums (Number assignment)" (in Latvian). Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- numuri.lv/ - Number assignment information and service for checking number ownership
- Electronic Communications Law
- Terms of national numbering plan (Since 04.09.2008)
- Latvian railways