183rd Ohio Infantry
|183rd Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry|
|Active||September 1864 to July 17, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Franklin
Battle of Nashville
The 183rd Ohio Infantry was organized in Sandusky and Cincinnati, Ohio September through October 1864 and mustered in for one year service on October 12, 1864 at Camp Dennison under the command of Colonel George W. Hoge.
The 183rd Ohio Infantry mustered out of service July 17, 1865 at Salisbury, North Carolina.
Left Ohio for Columbia, Tenn., November 19, arriving there November 28. Battle of Franklin, Tenn., November 30, 1864. Battle of Nashville December 15–16. Pursuit of Hood to the Tennessee River December 17–28. Duty at Clifton, Tenn., until January 16, 1865. Moved to Washington, D.C., then to Fort Fisher, N.C., January 16-February 9. Operations against Hoke February 11–14. Capture of Wilmington February 22. Campaign of the Carolinas March 1-April 26. Advance on Goldsboro March 6–21. Occupation of Goldsboro March 21. Advance on Raleigh April 10–14. Occupation of Raleigh April 14. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army. Duty at Raleigh and Salisbury, N.C., until July.
The regiment lost a total of 83 men during service; 2 officers and 22 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, 2 officers and 57 enlisted men due to disease.
- Colonel George W. Hoge
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion (Des Moines, IA: Dyer Pub. Co.), 1908.
- Ohio Roster Commission. Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War on the Rebellion, 1861–1865, Compiled Under the Direction of the Roster Commission (Akron, OH: Werner Co.), 1886-1895.
- Reid, Whitelaw. Ohio in the War: Her Statesmen, Her Generals, and Soldiers (Cincinnati, OH: Moore, Wilstach, & Baldwin), 1868. ISBN 9781154801965
- This article contains text from a text now in the public domain: Dyer, Frederick H. (1908). A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. Des Moines, IA: Dyer Publishing Co.
- Ohio in the Civil War: 183rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry by Larry Stevens
- Regimental flag of the 183rd Ohio Infantry