1844 in rail transport
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Years in rail transport|
This article lists events related to rail transport that occurred in 1844.
- February 7 - The South Eastern Railway (UK) is officially opened throughout from London to Dover.
- May 6 - J. M. W. Turner's painting Rain, Steam and Speed - The Great Western Railway is first exhibited, at the Royal Academy in London.
- May 10 - The Midland Railway is formed by a merger of the Midland Counties Railway, the North Midland Railway and the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway.
- June 15 - Opening of first railway in Switzerland, from Basel to St Ludwig (now Saint-Louis, Haut-Rhin) in France (6.4 km).
- August 9 - In the United Kingdom, the Railway Regulation Act 1844 (officially: An Act to attach certain Conditions to the Construction of future Railways) requires every railway company to run at least one passenger train a day in both directions along the length of each of its lines, calling at every station. The maximum fare for journeys by these trains (soon to become known as Parliamentaries) is fixed at one penny per mile (1.6 km), and it is a further requirement of the Act that the carriages used on these trains be provided with seats and afford passengers protection from the weather.
- October - Eleazer Lord succeeds Horatio Allen for a third term as president of the Erie Railroad.
Unknown date events
- Egide Walschaerts of the Belgian State Railways originates Walschaerts valve gear for steam locomotives.
- March 6 - Frederick J. Kimball, American civil engineer who was instrumental in the formation of Norfolk and Western (d. 1903).
- April 5 - R. J. Billinton, Locomotive, Carriage, Wagon and Marine Superintendent of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway 1890-1904, is born (d. 1904).
- June 21 - Ernest F. Cambier, Belgian colonial pioneer who established the first Congo railway (d. 1909).
- August 6 - James Henry Greathead, English inventor of the tunnelling shield used for the London Underground (d. 1896).
- October 21 - Albert Alonzo Robinson, vice president and general manager of Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, is born (d. 1918).
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- Gray, Adrian (1990). South Eastern Railway. Midhurst: Mpoopiddleton Press. ISBN 0-906520-85-1.
- Hadfield, Charles (1967). Atmospheric Railways. Newton Abbot: David & Charles. ISBN 0-7153-4107-3.
- Marshall, John (1989). The Guinness Railway Book. Enfield: Guinness. ISBN 0-85112-359-7.
- "Erie Railroad presidents". Archived from the original on 18 March 2005. Retrieved 2005-03-15.
- "Etcetera - Today in History - June 21". Archived from the original on 2005-02-07. Retrieved 2005-07-19.
- Marshall, John (2003). Biographical Dictionary of Railway Engineers (2nd ed.). Oxford: Railway and Canal Historical Society. ISBN 0-901461-22-9.