1868 in birding and ornithology
|Years in birding and ornithology:||1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871|
|Centuries:||18th century · 19th century · 20th century|
|Decades:||1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s|
|Years:||1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871|
- Birds described in 1868 include Antillean siskin, Yap monarch, saffron-crested tyrant-manakin, chestnut-headed crake,
- Alfred Newton proposes protection for seabirds
- Death of Magnus von Wright.
- August von Pelzeln publishes volume 1 of Zur Ornithologie Brasiliens; Resultate von Johann Natterers Reisen in den Jahren 1817 bis 1835.Wien, A. Pichler's Witwe & Sohne, 1868-70.
- 1865–1868 Magenta circumnavigation of the globe Italian expedition that made important scientific observations in South America.
- John Gould The birds of Australia Supplement 1851-69. 1 vol. 81 plates; Artists: J. Gould and H. C. Richter; Lithographer: H. C. Richter
- John Gould The birds of Asia 1850-83 7 vols. 530 plates, Artists: J. Gould, H. C. Richter, W. Hart and J. Wolf; Lithographers:H. C. Richter and W. Hart
|This article about ornithology is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|