1975–76 Baltimore Claws season
|1975–76 Baltimore Claws season|
|Head coach||Joe Mullaney|
|Arena||Baltimore Civic Arena|
|Place||Division: n/a (Eastern)
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player statistics
- 4 Awards and records
- 5 Transactions
- 6 External links
On August 27, 1975, the Memphis Sounds franchise was dismantled and sold to a group of Baltimore businessmen headed by David Cohan. The franchise moved to Baltimore. It was first called the Baltimore Hustlers but the league objected to the name so the team was quickly rechristened as the Baltimore Claws.
Preseason exhibition games
On October 17, 1975, the Claws played the Squires again, this time at Knott Arena, Mt. St. Mary's College, Emmitsburg, Maryland. The Squires won 100-88 in front of approximately 500 spectators. http://www.remembertheaba.com/Baltimore-Claws.html
The Claws only managed to sign up 300 season ticket holders. The franchise constantly had money problems. On October 16, 1975 ABA Commissioner Dave DeBusschere gave the Claws four days to send $500,000 to the ABA league office as a "performance bond" for team operations. While their players went unpaid, the Claws sent $250,000 of this amount. On October 20, 1975, five days before the start of the 1975–76 regular season, the ABA folded the Baltimore Claws.
The Claws folded prior to the start of the regular season.
- George Carter
- Mel Daniels
- Scott English
- Joe Hamilton
- Stew Johnson
- Bob Rhodes
- Dave Robisch
- Skip Rozenski
- Paul Ruffner
- Ron Styles
- Claude Terry
- Tim VanBlommesteyn
- Chuck Williams
- Skip Wise
The above would have been the Baltimore Claws' regular season roster had the team continued into regular season play.
|New York Nets||55||29||.655||5|
|San Antonio Spurs||50||34||.595||10|
|Spirits of St. Louis||35||49||.417||25|
|San Diego Sails||3||8||.273||-|
Awards and records
Draft and preseason signings
- Lonnie Shelton (stayed in college)
- Rich Kelley (signed with NBA's New Orleans Jazz)
- Terry Furlow (stayed in college)
- September 19, 1975: traded Tom Owens and $500,000 cash to the Kentucky Colonels for Dan Issel
- September 1975: traded Dan Issel to the Denver Nuggets for Dave Robisch and $500,000 cash
- Traded Rick Mount to the Utah Stars for Joe Hamilton and Tim VanBlommesteyn
- Alex English (Indiana Pacers)
- Joe Hamilton (Utah Stars)
- Stew Johnson (San Diego Sails)
- Dave Robisch (Spirits of St. Louis)
- Paul Ruffner (Spirits of St. Louis)
- Claude Terry (Denver Nuggets)
- Chuck Williams (Virginia Squires)
- Remember the ABA: New Orleans Buccaneers Year-to-Year Rosters
- Remember the ABA: Baltimore Claws Archived 2015-06-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- Remember the ABA: ABA vs. NBA Exhibition Game Results Archived 2009-10-05 at WebCite
- 1975-76 ABA Season Summary - Basketball-Reference.com
- Remember the ABA: 1975-76 Regular Season Standings and Playoff Results Archived 2010-11-29 at the Wayback Machine.
- Remember the ABA: New Orleans Bucs/Memphis Pros/Memphis Tams/Memphis Sounds/Baltimore Claws Year-by-Year Notes Archived May 8, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.