2018 Korean Series
|2018 Korean Series|
|Dates||November 4 – November 12|
|Television||SBS (Game 1, 4)|
MBC (Game 2, 5)
KBS2 (Game 3, 6)
The 2018 Korean Series is the championship series of the 2018 KBO League season. The Doosan Bears, as the regular season champions, automatically advanced to the Korean Series, where they faced the SK Wyverns. The series ran from November 4 to November 12.
The Doosan Bears won the 2015 and 2016 Korean Series. They lost the 2017 Korean Series to the Kia Tigers. Doosan had the best winning percentage during the 2018 KBO League season, advancing directly to the Korean Series. The team with the regular season's best record has won 15 of the previous 16 Korean Series.
The Bears faced the SK Wyverns, who last won the Korean Series in 2010. The Wyverns finished the regular season with the second-best record in the league, 14 1⁄2 games behind Doosan. They advanced to the playoff round. The Wyverns defeated the Nexen Heroes in the KBO League playoffs to reach the Korean Series.
SK Wyverns won the series, 4–2.
|1||November 4||SK Wyverns – 7, Doosan Bears – 3||Jamsil Baseball Stadium||3:17||25,000|
|2||November 5||SK Wyverns – 3, Doosan Bears – 7||Jamsil Baseball Stadium||3:14||25,000|
|3||November 7||Doosan Bears – 2, SK Wyverns – 7||Munhak Baseball Stadium||3:13||25,000|
|4||November 9||Doosan Bears – 2, SK Wyverns – 1||Munhak Baseball Stadium||2:54||25,000|
|5||November 10||Doosan Bears – 1, SK Wyverns – 4||Munhak Baseball Stadium||3:08||25,000|
|6||November 12||SK Wyverns – 5, Doosan Bears – 4||Jamsil Baseball Stadium||4:30||25,000|
|WP: Ángel Sánchez (1–0) LP: Josh Lindblom (0–1)|
SK: Han Dong-min (1), Park Jung-kwon (1)
Josh Lindblom started Game 1 for Doosan, while Park Jong-hoon started for the Wyverns. For the Wyverns, Han Dong-min hit a two-run home run in the first inning, and Park Jung-kwon hit a two-run home run in the sixth inning. Choi Joo-hwan had all three runs batted in for Doosan. Ángel Sánchez earned the win in relief for the Wyverns while Lindblom took the loss for Doosan.
|WP: Seth Frankoff (1–0) LP: Moon Seung-won (0–1) Sv: Ham Deok-ju (1)|
DOO: Choi Joo-hwan (1)
Seth Frankoff started Game 2 for Doosan. He had ten strikeouts in 6 2⁄3 innings, earning the win. Moon Seung-won started for the Wyverns. Doosan's Choi Joo-hwan hit a two-run home run and recorded a third RBI in the eighth inning. Kim Kang-min drove in all three runs for the Wyverns.
|WP: Merrill Kelly (1–0) LP: Lee Yong-chan (0–1)|
SK: Jamie Romak 2 (2), Lee Jae-won (1)
The series continued with the first of three games at Munhak Baseball Stadium. Jamie Romak hit two home runs for the Wyverns, and Lee Jae-won also hit a home run. Merrill Kelly pitched seven innings allowing two runs to earn the win.
|WP: Josh Lindblom (1–1) LP: Ángel Sánchez (1–1) Sv: Ham Deok-ju (2)|
DOO: Jung Soo-bin (1)
The Wyverns scored first when Kim Kang-min hit an RBI single to score Kim Sung-hyun in the third inning. In the eighth inning, Jung Soo-bin hit a two-run home run to give Doosan the lead, which they hung on to win and tie the series at two all.
|WP: Kim Tae-hoon (1–0) LP: Seth Frankoff (1–1) Sv: Jung Young-il (1)|
DOO: Jung Jin-ho (1)
Doosan scored their only run in Game 5 with a solo home run by Jung Jin-ho in the third inning. In the seventh inning, Kim Sung-hyun tied the game at 1-1 with an RBI double, and Kim Kang-min hit an RBI sacrifice fly to give the Wyverns a 2-1 lead. The next inning, Park Jung-kwon had an RBI single and Kim Sung-hyun drew a walk with the bases-loaded to expand the lead to 4-1.
|WP: Moon Seung-won (1–1) LP: Yoo Hee-kwan (0–1) Sv: Kim Kwang-hyun (1)|
SK: Kang Seung-ho (1), Choi Jeong (1), Han Dong-min (2)
Lee Yong-chan, Doosan's starting pitcher, walked the first three Wyverns batters to load the bases. The Wyverns scored one run in the first inning with an RBI groundout by Jamie Romak. Kang Seung-ho hit a two-run home run for the Wyverns in the fourth inning to give them a 3-0 lead. Wyverns' starting pitcher Merrill Kelly did not allow a hit for the first 5 1⁄3 innings, but Doosan scored three runs in the sixth inning on an RBI double by Choi Joo-hwan and a two RBI single by Yang Eui-ji. Yang added a third RBI with a sacrifice fly in the eighth inning to give Doosan a 4-3 lead. In the top of the ninth inning, Choi Jeong hit a game-tying home run for the Wyverns, and the game went into extra innings. Han Dong-min hit a home run for the Wyverns in the top of the thirteenth inning, and Kim Kwang-hyun, the Wyverns' ace starting pitcher, earned the save by pitching a scoreless inning in the bottom of the thirteenth to win the title for the Wyverns. Han won the Korean Series Most Valuable Player Award.
Composite line score
SK: Han Dong-min (2), Jamie Romak (2), Lee Jae-won (1), Choi Jeong (1), Park Jung-kwon (1), Kang Seung-ho (1)
DOO: Jung Jin-ho (1), Choi Joo-hwan (1), Jung Soo-bin (1)
Total attendance: 150,000 Average attendance: 25,000
Winning player's share: ₩TBA. Losing player's share: ₩TBA.
- "Baseball regular season ends with dominant force at top, pretenders in mix". english.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- 2018/11/04 18:21. "SK Wyverns rally past Doosan Bears to open Korean Series". English.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- 2018/11/02 23:54. "(LEAD) SK Wyverns hold off Nexen Heroes to reach baseball championships series". English.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- 2018/11/03 14:57. "(LEAD American right-hander faces homegrown submariner in Game 1 of Korean Series". English.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- 2018/11/05 22:45. "(2nd LD) Doosan Bears beat SK Wyverns to even Korean Series". English.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- 2018/11/05 07:47 (August 14, 2018). "Pitcher trying to view Korean Series start 'like any other game'". English.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- 2018/11/07 21:56 (November 7, 2018). "SK Wyverns power past Doosan Bears to take Korean Series lead". English.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved November 11, 2018.
- 2018/11/09 22:27. "(2nd LD) Doosan Bears edge out SK Wyverns to pull even in Korean Series". English.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved November 11, 2018.
- 2018/11/10 17:22. "SK Wyverns move to brink of S. Korean baseball title". English.yonhapnews.co.kr. Retrieved November 11, 2018.