2019 Busy Bee Congo crash
9S-GNH, The aircraft involved in the accident
|Date||24 November 2019|
|Summary||Crashed shortly after take off; under investigation|
|Site||Goma International Airport, Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo |
|Total fatalities||29 (19 on airplane, 10 on ground)|
|Aircraft type||Dornier Do 228|
|Operator||Busy Bee Congo|
|Flight origin||Goma International Airport|
On 24 November 2019, a Dornier Do 228 twin turboprop aircraft operated by local carrier Busy Bee Congo crashed shortly after takeoff from Goma International Airport and impacted a densely populated section of the city, killing many on the ground. It is the deadliest accident involving the Dornier Do 228.
In October 2018, a cargo plane on route to Kinshasa crashed an hour after taking off from Goma in the province of Sankuru killing eight passengers and crew. The aircraft was carrying 17 passengers and two crew members. The flight was scheduled from Goma to Beni airport, about 350 kilometres (220 mi; 190 nmi) to the north.[relevant? ] The airline operating the plane, Busy Bee Congo, was founded in 2007 and uses Goma as their base for their fleet of Dornier 228s. Due to lack of funds, poverty, lack of oversight, and corruption in government, airline safety in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, especially among local low-price carriers, is infamously lax with all the local carriers banned from operating in the European Union.
According to reports the aircraft took off from the airport but suffered engine failure and crashed less than a minute after take off. Witnesses describe the plane spinning three times as it crashed with thick black smoke coming from the engines. The aircraft violently burst in flames as it impacted in one of the densely populated areas of the city, the fire preventing locals from helping victims caught in the blaze.
As of 25 November, reports vary on how many casualties there are. One source reports that 2 passengers managed to be pulled from the blaze. The BBC reports that 9 casualties on the ground all came from one family.
- Ranter, Harro. "ASN Aircraft accident Dornier 228-201 9S-GNH Goma Airport (GOM)". aviation-safety.net. Retrieved 2019-11-27.
- Hradecky, Simon (24 November 2019). "Crash: Busy Bee D228 at Goma on Nov 24th 2019, impacted populated area past departure runway". Aviation Herald. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
- "Plane crash kills at least 24 people in eastern Congo". Euronews. Reuters. 24 November 2019. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
- "More than two dozen killed in small plane crash in Congo, including some on ground". CBS News. Associated Press. 24 November 2019. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
- Finlay, Mark (24 November 2019). "Plane Carrying 17 Crashes In Democratic Republic Of Congo". Simple Flying. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
- "DR Congo: Many dead as plane crashes into homes". BBC News. 24 November 2019. Retrieved 24 November 2019.