23 Parachute Engineer Regiment
|23 Parachute Engineer Regiment|
|Size||4 squadrons (HQ, 2 regular, 1 reserve)|
|Part of||16 Air Assault Brigade|
|Garrison/HQ||Rock Barracks/Woodbridge Airfield, Woodbridge, Suffolk|
War in Afghanistan
|Lt Col Simon John Carvel|
23 Parachute Engineer Regiment is a Royal Engineers regiment in the British Army that was formed in 2003. It provides engineer support to 16 Air Assault Brigade in both the parachute and air assault role. The regiment is currently based at Rock Barracks just outside Woodbridge in Suffolk and consists of three regular squadrons. As part of 16 Air Assault Brigade it can be called upon to deploy on operations across the globe.
23 Engineer Regiment traces its roots to the founding of the airborne forces (the Parachute Regiment and other units) during World War II. It was most recently reformed in 2003 after a ten-year hiatus. In 2015, the "Parachute" title was officially added to the name, although the unit had already been supporting 16 Air Assault Brigade since its re-establishment, and a new flag was presented to the regiment to mark the occasion.
- 23 Reme workshops
- 12 Parachute Headquarters and Support Squadron
- 9 Parachute Squadron
- 51 Parachute Squadron
- 299 Parachute Squadron (Royal Engineers) (TA) - formed in 1947 when the Territorial Army was reformed, as part of 131 Airborne Engineer Regiment (TA). The regiment provided engineer support for 16th Airborne Division (TA), which consisted of three brigades - 44, 45 and 46 Parachute Brigades (TA). In addition to 299 Squadron, 131 Regiment also consisted of 300, 301 and 302 Airborne Field Squadrons and Regimental Headquarters (RHQ). This squadron will be under 21 Engineer Regiment in Army 2020.
- "Royal Engineers commander working in Helmand praises unit's hometown for support". Ministry of Defence. 28 January 2011.
- "23 Engr Regt (Air Assault)". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "Freedom of the Town of Woodbridge to the 23 Engineer Regiment (Air Assault)". One Suffolk. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "23 Engineer Regiment exercises freedom of Woodbridge". BBC. 8 June 2013.
- "23 Parachute Engineer Regiment Celebrate New Name". Forces TV. 16 June 2015.
-  Archived September 1, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- [dead link]
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-08-10. Retrieved 2013-09-15.