2nd Blackshirt Division (28 October)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The 2nd Blackshirt Division 28 Ottobre was an Italian Camicie Nere (Blackshirt) militia unit (similar to SS in Nazi-Germany), formed to participate in the Italian Second Italo-Abyssinian War against Ethiopia in the mid-1930s.
It was named 28 ottobre (Italian for "28 October") in honor of the Fascist March on Rome (28 October 1922).
Order of battle (1935-36)
"28 Ottobre" Blackshirts Division (Gen. Somma) with :
- 114th Blackshirts Legion "Garibaldina"
- 114th "Garibaldino" Blackshirts Battalion
- 115th "Leonessa" Blackshirts Battalion
- 114th MMG company
- 114th pack-artillery battery
- 116th Blackshirts Legion "Alpina"
- 116th "Alpino" Blackshirts Battalion
- 125th "Ferreo" Blackshirts Battalion - they left a monumental stone in Dogu'a Tembien, a metres-wide phonolite with inscriptions. It is located on top of the Dabba Selama mountain, and was carved by soldiers that participated in the First Battle of Tembien
- 116th MMG company
- 116th pack-artillery battery
- 180th Blackshirts Legion "Alessandro Farnese"
- 174th "Taro" Blackshirts Battalion
- 180th "Alessandro Farnese" Blackshirts Battalion
- 180th MMG company
- 180th pack-artillery battery
- 2nd Blackshirts MMG Battalion
- 2nd Artillery Battalion (65L17 – Army)
- 2nd Special Engineers Company (mixed Blackshirts and Army)
- 2 x Replacements Battalions
- Additionally the division had a medical section, logistics section, and transport of a pack-mules unit (1600 mules), and a mixed trucks unit (80 light trucks).
- The division took actively part in the Italian war crimes in Ethiopia.
Order of battle (1940)
"28 Ottobre" Blackshirts Division (Gen. Francesco) with :
- 231. CCNN Legion
- 131. CCNN Battalion
- 132. CCNN Battalion
- 135. CCNN Battalion
- 238. CCNN Legion
- 138. CCNN Battalion
- 140. CCNN Battalion
- 145. CCNN Battalion
- 2. CCNN Anti-tank Company
- 202. MG Battalion
- 202. Artillery Regiment
- 202. Mixed Engineer Battalion
- Lucas, Ettore; Giorgio de Vecchi (1976). Storia delle Unità Combattenti della MVSN 1923-1943. Giovanni Volpe Editore. pp. 63–116 plus errata.
- Madej, W.,V., Italian Army Order of Battle, 1939-1943,1981,Allentown, PA.
- Madej, W.,V., Italian Army Order of Battle: 1940-44, 1990, Allentown, PA.
|This Italian history article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This European military article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|