|Type||Two-stroke aircraft engine|
|National origin||United States|
The basic engine was originally designed and produced by JLO-Motorenwerke of Germany and was later acquired by the AMW Cuyuna Engine Company of Beaufort, South Carolina and marketed under the Cuyuna brand name. Later the engine was marketed by Cuyuna under the Two Stroke International (2si) brand. Cuyuna no longer markets engines for aircraft use although the 215 is still in production as an industrial and multi-fuel engine.
The 215 is a conventional single-cylinder engine that weighs 39 lb (18 kg) in its 215R aircraft version. The engine features single breaker and points ignition, with single capacitor discharge ignition used on the current models. It also incorporates piston porting, tuned exhaust system, single carburetor, fan cooling, fuel pump, a cast iron cylinder liner, ball, needle and roller bearings throughout. The 215R aircraft version was offered with an optional belt reduction system and the modern industrial versions have an optional gearbox with ratios of 2.04, 2.65 and 3.06. Starting is a recoil starter with a custom electric starter available as an option.
- Gasoline aircraft engine with direct drive. Single carburetor, 20 hp (15 kW) at 6000 rpm, weight 42 lb (19 kg), out of production.
- Gasoline industrial engine. Single carburetor, 20 hp (15 kW) at 6000 rpm, still in production.
- Multi-fuel industrial engine. Single carburetor, 7 to 12 hp (5 to 9 kW) at 6500 rpm, weight 53 lb (24 kg), still in production.
- Gasoline aircraft engine with belt reduction drive. single carburetor, 20 hp (15 kW) at 6000 rpm, weight 39 lb (18 kg), out of production.
Specifications (215D aircraft engine)
- Type: Single-cylinder, two-stroke aircraft engine
- Bore: 2.658 in (67.5 mm)
- Stroke: 2.362 in (60.0 mm)
- Displacement: 214 cc (13.06 cu in)
- Length: 11.75 in (298.4 mm)
- Width: 7.0 in (177.8 mm)
- Height: 14.0 in (355.6 mm)
- Dry weight: 42 lb (19 kg)
- Valvetrain: piston porting
- Fuel type: Regular auto fuel
- Oil system: premixed oil and fuel at 50:1
- Cooling system: fan cooled
- Reduction gear: optional belt reduction
- Power output: 20 hp (15 kW) at 6000 rpm
- Compression ratio: 12.5:1
- Cuyuna Development Company: Cuyuna Engines, Cuyuna Development Company, undated
- Cliche, Andre: Ultralight Aircraft Shopper's Guide 8th Edition, page G-2 Cybair Limited Publishing, 2001. ISBN 0-9680628-1-4
- Two Stroke International (n.d.). "2si Company Profile". Archived from the original on 15 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-16.
- 2si (n.d.). "Engine Model 215F Industrial Configuration". Retrieved 2010-02-22.
- 2si (n.d.). "Diesel / Multi-fuel Engine Model 215 MF Industrial Configurations". Archived from the original on 17 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-22.