31st Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron
|31st Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron|
|Active||January 15, 1941 – October 8, 1948|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Engagements||World War II|
|Disbanded||October 8, 1948|
The 31st Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to XIX Tactical Air Command at Brooks Field, Texas, where it was inactivated on 3 February 1946.
The squadron was first activated at March Field, California in 1951 as the 31st Army Reconnaissance Squadron, flying light observation planes. After the Attack on Pearl Harbor, the squadron flew antisubmarine patrols over the Pacific coast in 1942. It was moved to the Southeastern United States in late 1942.
The squadron was primarily used for observation during Army training maneuvers near Fort Polk, Louisiana and Fort Benning, Georgia. The unit deployed to the European Theater of Operations on 22 April 1945. It flew battlefield reconnaissance in the Low Countries and during the Allied invasion of Germany in the spring of 1945, supporting Ninth Army.
The squadron returned to the United States in August 1945, was never fully manned or equipped. It was inactivated in February 1946.
- Constituted as the 31st Army Reconnaissance Squadron on 20 November 1940
- Activated on 15 January 1941
- Redesignated 31st Observation Squadron on 14 August 1941
- Redesignated 31st Observation Squadron (Medium) on 13 January 1942
- Redesignated 31st Observation Squadron on 4 July 1942
- Redesignated 31st Reconnaissance Squadron (Fighter) on 2 April 1943
- Redesignated 31st Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron on 11 August 1943
- Inactivated on 3 February 1946
- Disbanded on 8 October 1948
- Ninth Corps Area, 15 January 1941
- Fourth United States Army, 24 January 1941
- Fourth Air Force, 1 September 1941
- IV Air Support Command, 3 September 1941 (attached to 69th Observation Group after December 1941)
- 69th Observation Group (later 69th Reconnaissance Group, 69th Tactical Reconnaissance Group), 29 March 1942
- Ninth Air Force, 20 March 1945 (attached to 9th Tactical Reconnaissance Group (Provisional)) after 28 March 1945
- 363d Tactical Reconnaissance Group (later 363d Reconnaissance Group), 23 May 1945
- United States Strategic Air Forces in Europe, 25 June 1945
- Third Air Force, 3 August 1945 (attached to 69th Reconnaissance Group)
- XIX Tactical Air Command, 10 January 1946 - 3 February 1946 (remained attached to 69th Reconnaissance Group)
- Maurer, p. 155
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (PDF) (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556.