6th South Carolina Regiment
|6th South Carolina Regiment (Rifles)|
|Allegiance||South Carolina, Continental Congress of the United States|
|Branch||State Troops, Continental Army|
|Type||Infantry (riflemen ?)|
|Lt. Col. Thomas Sumter|
The 6th South Carolina Regiment (2nd Rifle Regiment) was authorized on 28 February 1776 in the South Carolina State Troops and was organized during the spring of 1776 as five companies of volunteers from the northwestern region of the colony of South Carolina. It may have been composed exclusively of expert riflemen from the colony.
- February 28, 1776, authorized as South Carolina Provincial Troops
- Spring 1776, organized at Charleston to consist of five companies from northwestern South Carolina.
- March 25, 1776, adopted into the Continental Army and assigned to the Southern Department
- October 18, 1776, reorganized to consist of six companies (Captain Richbourg's Independent Company, organized in spring 1776 at Charleston with personnel from northwestern South Carolina, concurrently redesignated as the 6th Company, 6th South Carolina Regiment).
- November 23, 1776, assigned to the 1st South Carolina Brigade, an element of the Southern Department.
- January 3, 1779, relieved from the 1st South Carolina Brigade
- February 1, 1779, assigned to the South Carolina Brigade, an element of the Southern Department
- February 11, 1780, consolidated with the 2nd South Carolina Regiment
- Major William Henderson (original officer, 1776), as Lt. Col (1778-1780)
- Lt. Col./Col. Thomas Sumter (1776-1778)
- June 28, 1776, Battle of Sullivan's Island/Fort Moultrie, South Carolina
- August 1, 1776, Seneca Town, South Carolina
- August 8-11, 1776, Cherokee Towns, South Carolina
- August 12, 1776, Tamassee, South Carolina
- September 1776, St. Augustine, Florida
- September 19, 1776, Coweecho River, North Carolina
- May - July 1778, Florida Expedition
- December 29, 1778, Capture of Savannah, Georgia
- March 3, 1779, Battle of Briar/Brier Creek, Georgia
- May 3, 1779, Coosawhatchie, South Carolina
- June 20, 1779, Battle of Stono Ferry, South Carolina
- September 16 - October 18, 1779, Siege of Savannah, Georgia
- South Carolina Line: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Regiments
- List of South Carolina militia units in the American Revolution
- Lewis, J.D. "The American Revolution in South Carolina, 6th South Carolina Regiment (2nd Rifle Regiment". Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- Wright, Richard K. (1983). "Lineage". The Continental Army. Army Lineage Series. United States Army Center of Military History. 60-4. Retrieved 29 June 2006.
- Bibliography of the Continental Army in South Carolina compiled by the United States Army Center of Military History