|This article does not cite any sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Centuries:||1st century BC – 1st century – 2nd century|
|Decades:||40s 50s 60s – 70s – 80s 90s 100s|
|Years:||74 75 76 – 77 – 78 79 80|
|77 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||830|
|Chinese calendar||丙子年 (Fire Rat)
2773 or 2713
— to —
丁丑年 (Fire Ox)
2774 or 2714
|Coptic calendar||−207 – −206|
|- Vikram Samvat||133–134|
|- Shaka Samvat||−1 – 0|
|- Kali Yuga||3178–3179|
|Iranian calendar||545 BP – 544 BP|
|Islamic calendar||562 BH – 561 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1835 before ROC
|Seleucid era||388/389 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||619–620|
Year 77 (LXXVII) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Augustus and Vespasianus (or, less frequently, year 830 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 77 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Gnaeus Julius Agricola is named governor of Britannia, a post he occupies until 84. He extends the Roman influence to the mouth of the River Clyde (Scotland) and built fortifications.
- Agricola subdues the Ordovices in Wales and pursues the remnants of the tribe to Anglesey, the holy island of the Druids.
- The Caledonian tribes in Scotland are formed in a confederacy of 30,000 warriors under the leadership of Calgacus.
- A Roman squadron, sent by Agricola, explores the north of Scotland for the first time, discovering the Orkney and Shetland Islands.
- Winter – Agricola conquers Anglesey and disperses his army to their winter quarters.
Arts and sciences
- Pliny the Elder publishes the first ten books of Naturalis Historia.
- The Romans develop a simple method of distillation.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2016)|