A.S. Popov Central Museum of Communications
|Established||11 September 1872|
|Location||Saint Petersburg, Russia|
|Type||postal & telecommunications museum|
|Key holdings||Russian National Collection of Philately|
|Collections||stamps, documents, devices|
|Director||Alexander I. Burdin (as of 2015)|
…For the purpose of familiarisation of all the telegraph workers and other interested persons with all innovations and improvements in the field of telegraphy, it is proposed to organise a permanent museum in Saint Petersburg, based on objects presented at the Moscow Polytechnic Exhibition…
In 1884, the post office branch was added and the museum was transformed into the Postal and Telegraph Museum.
The museum archives and collections include over 8 million items including:
- documents and items related to the history of post, telegraph and telephone, radio and broadcasting, space communication, and modern means of telecommunications,
- 15,000 apparatuses and technical pieces,
- 50,000 archival documents,
- vast collections of stamps and postal stationery, including 8 million items of the Russian National Collection of Philately,
- 50,000 books and periodicals of the specialised research library.
The museum is situated at the address: 7 Pochtamtskaya Street, Saint Petersburg, 190000, Russia.
- "About museum". About. Saint Petersburg, Russia: The A.S. Popov Central Museum of Communications. Archived from the original on 2015-05-23. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
- Владинец Н. И. [Vladinets, N. I.] (1977). "Филателия" [Philately]. In Прохоров, А. М. (ed.). Большая советская энциклопедия: в 30 т. (1970–1979) [The Great Soviet Encyclopedia] (in Russian). 27 (Ульяновск – Франкфорт) (3rd ed.). М. [Moscow]: Советская энциклопедия [Soviet Encyclopedia]. Retrieved 2015-06-08.
- Media related to A.S. Popov Central Museum of Communications at Wikimedia Commons