A Useful Life
|A Useful Life|
The Spanish language cinema poster
|Directed by||Federico Veiroj|
|Produced by||Federico Veiroj|
|Written by||Federico Veiroj
Arauco Hernández Holz
|Music by||Leo Masliah & Macunaíma
|Cinematography||Arauco Hernández Holz|
|Edited by||Federico Veiroj
Arauco Hernández Holz
A Useful Life (Spanish: La vida útil) is a 2010 Uruguayan drama film about the love of film, directed by Federico Veiroj and shot in black-and-white. The film was selected as the Uruguayan entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 83rd Academy Awards but it did not make the final shortlist.
Set in Montevideo's legendary Cinemateca Uruguaya, it is the story about the closure of a cinematheque with the same name due to financial difficulties, and how it affects its film loving middle manager Jorge (played by film critic-turned-actor Jorge Jellinek), who has worked there for 25 years. At first he is overwhelmed by the prospect of having no profession or purpose, and drifts around in Montevideo. But eventually he realises that nothing can kill his love for film, so he ends the day by taking his love interest to the cinema.
Although the story is fiction, Cinemateca Uruguaya, which celebrated 50 years in 2012, is besieged by financial problems, and its director Manuel Martínez Carril agreed to play himself in the film.
- Istanbul Film Festival - Special Jury Prize ex-aequo
- Havana Film Festival/New Latin American Cinema of La Havana - Coral Grand Prize, Best Film
- Warsaw International Film Festival - Special Mention
- List of submissions to the 83rd Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Uruguayan submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "San Sebastián Film Festival". Telegraph. London. 2010-09-27. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- "And the Hopefuls for Best Foreign Oscar Are ...". thewrap. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". oscars.org. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- The Guardian, 15 January 2012: A Useful Life – review Linked 2013-10-25
- Indiwire: A Useful Life Linked 2013-10-25
- "The 30th Istanbul Film Festival Concludes". ftnnews. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- "'A Useful Life' Wins 32nd Havana Film Festival". businessinsider. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- "26th Warsaw Film Festival - Summary". wff.pl. Retrieved 2011-08-10.