Aaron Draplin in San Francisco in March 2016
Aaron James Draplin
October 15, 1973
Aaron Draplin was born in Detroit, Michigan on October 15, 1973 to parents Jim and Lauren Draplin. At 17, Draplin started his associate degree at Northwestern Michigan College; he graduated in 1993. At 19 he moved to Bend, Oregon to pursue his career in graphic design. After five years, he moved to Minneapolis to finish his design degree at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, graduating in 2000.
He started his career with a snowboard graphic for Solid Snowboards. In April 2000, he accepted an art director position at Snowboarder magazine. He won Art Director of the Year for Primedia 2000. In 2002, he became a senior designer at Cinco Design Office of Portland. His clients have included Nike, Burton Snowboards, Esquire, Red Wing, Ford Motor Company and the Obama Administration.
Draplin has been featured on TED Talks and talks at Google. In 2019 he designed the Star Ribbon, a US postal stamp. Draplin is the co-founder of and designer for the Field Notes brand. Draplin started his own firm, the Draplin Design Company.
- Art Director of the Year, Snowboarder Magazine, EMAP Publishing, Los Angeles, California, Spring 2001
- Pretty Much Everything, (2016) Abrams Books ISBN 9781419720178, is a mid-career survey that includes his work—posters, record covers and logos.
- "Aaron Draplin: There Is No Battle Plan". 99U by Behance. Behance, Inc. 2015-03-12. Retrieved 2016-03-05.
- "The Birmingham Design Festival 2018 - All the Details". 2018-03-31.
- "Designer Aaron Draplin is a 13-Trick Pony". Format Magazine.
- "Traverse City museum highlights skateboard art".
- "NMC Success Stories : VisComm graduate designs a stamp : Northwestern Michigan College".
- "Graphic designer came to IU as last-minute addition to book tour". Indiana Daily Student.
- "Aaron James Draplin". mcad.edu.
- "Aaron Draplin, Draplin Design Company, Portland, Oregon". walkerart.org.
- "Provisions 029: Products touched by the mind of designer Aaron Draplin". 2017-05-22.
- "Insights: Aaron Draplin, Draplin Design Company, Portland, Oregon".
- Discontent, The Great. "Aaron Draplin on The Great Discontent". The Great Discontent. Retrieved 2016-03-05.
- "President Obama Unveils New Logos Designed by Mode Project". Mode Project. Retrieved 2016-03-05.
- "Online Contest Puts Pop Culture Spin on the Ancient Art of the Family Crest". 5 June 2017.
- Wilshere, Andrew. "7 Must-See TED Talks For Designers". trydesignlab. Retrieved May 14, 2019.
- "Star Ribbon forever stamp at ASDA show March 22".
- "NMC Alum Designs New Commemorative U.S. Postal Service Stamp".
- "Field Notes creates demand for nostalgic notepads". Reuters. December 2010.
- "Aaron James Draplin is the poster boy for timeless design".
- "Designer Aaron Draplin wrote a book, and it's probably going to be hilarious". WIRED. 2016-02-03. Retrieved 2016-03-05.
- "Aaron Draplin F---ing Audio Interview on Design Matters". Design Observer.
- "The Everyman's Designer". 4 October 2016.
- "Aaron Draplin on hard work, keeping things small and fun, and his honest design process". 2016-06-10.
- "Making the Rulebook of your Life with Aaron Draplin". Lumi. Retrieved 2016-07-28.