Abby Ginzberg is an award-winning independent documentary film director and producer and founder of Ginzberg Productions. For the past 30 years, Ginzberg has been creating films that tackle discrimination and the legal profession.
In 2005, Ginzberg released the documentary Soul of Justice: Thelton Henderon's American Journey, which focused on federal district judge Thelton Henderson. Another film, A Tale of Two Cities, discusses the difficulty of forming high-school education for disadvantaged juvenile youths. Her film, Doing Justice: The Life and Trials of Arthur Kinoy, won a number of awards.
She also co-directed a documentary for the Ford Foundation chronicling the life of anti-apartheid freedom fighter and former Constitutional Court judge Albie Sachs, who lost an arm and an eye in an attack by the South African security services in Mozambique in 1988. The film is entitled “Soft Vengeance: Albie Sachs and the New South Africa.”
In 2015, Ginzberg collaborated with filmmaker Frank Dawson on Agents of Change, a documentary that covers the Civil Rights Movement and the creation of Ethnic studies departments at San Francisco State University and Cornell University.
Ginzberg is a member of Film Fatales women directors of independent film.
- Peabody Award, Soft Vengeance: Albie Sachs and the New South Africa (2014)
- Silver Gavel Award for Media and The Arts, 2006, Soul of Justice: Thelton Henderson's American Journey (2006)
- CINE Golden Eagle Soul of Justice: Thelton Henderson's American Journey (2006)
Barbara Lee; Warrior for Peace and Justice (Documentary, 2018) Director & Producer
Waging Change (Documentary, 2017) Director & Producer
And Then They Came for Us (Documentary, 2017) Co-Director & Executive Producer
Agents of Change (Documentary, 2016) Director & Co-Producer
When Voices Meet: One Divided Country; One United Choir; One Courageous Journey (Documentary, 2015) Collaborating Director
Soft Vengeance: Albie Sachs and the New South Africa (Documentary, 2014) Director & Producer
Cruz Reynoso: Sowing the Seeds of Justice (2010) Director & Producer
Soul of Justice: Thelton Henderson's American Journey (Documentary, 2005) Director & Producer
Everyday Heroes (Documentary, 2001) Director & Producer
The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement (Documentary short, 2011) Consulting Producer
Ghost Town to Havana (Documentary, 2015) Consulting Producer
- "About Abby Ginzberg". Soul of Justice. Archived from the original on February 8, 2012.
- "Thelton Henderson's American Journey". Soul of Justice. Archived from the original on November 27, 2013.
- "Abby Ginzberg, Biography". Boalt Hall. Archived from the original on 2010-07-15.
- Binns, Tony (August 18, 2016). "Dawson and Ginzberg's 'Agents of Change' premieres at Black Harvest Film Fest". rollingout.com.
- Horwitz, Nathaniel (August 12, 2015). "An interview with 'Agents of Change' producers". mvtimes.com.
- "Peabody Awards". Peabody Awards. 2014.
- "Silver Gavel Awards for Media and The Arts". American Bar Association. 2006.
|This article about a United States film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|