Abdi Mohamoud Omar
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Abdi Mohamoud Omar
|President of the Somali Region|
Serving with Mohamed Rashid Isak
|Succeeded by||Mustafa Muhummed Omer|
|Political party||Ethiopian Somali People's Democratic Party|
Abdi Mohamoud Omar was the president of the Ethiopian Somali Region from 2005-2018. He is a member of the Somali regional parliament and a member of the ruling party Ethiopian Somali People Democratic Party (ESPDP), as well as a number five of the Meles Zenawi Foundation. However, he has been removed from his positions & got arrested few months after Abiy Ahmed assumed office.
Abdi Omar’s name appeared on the electoral list during the 2005 Ethiopian election, when the Somali tribes in Somali Region were loggerheaded for sharing electoral seats. Beyond his military links, Godfather and his special adviser is Abdi Ciro, who was a Somali colonel of the national security services (known as NSS), behind his promoting into the tribal electoral contests.
Becoming a member of the parliament did not come easy to Abdi, because he originated in a small sub-clan of Abdille, the major clan of the Ogaden. Those had no district with the Korahe region. His candidates caused a lot of controversial talk, with the interference of indisputable Ethiopian military commanders resulted to register him to be a parliament member acting of the Korahe region.
Resignation and criminal charges
On 6 August 2018, Abdi Mohamoud Omar resigned as President of the Somali Region amid violence in the regional capital, Jigjiga. He was replaced as president by Mustafa Muhummed Omer. On 27 August, it was reported that Abdi had been arrested by federal forces and charged with crimes, including inciting ethnic violence and possession of weapons.
- "Ethiopia: ESPDP and ONLF the lesser of Two Evils". Wardheer news. 2011-08-23. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "Africa News, "Ethiopia police arrest ex-Somali region president Abdi Illey"".
- "Abdi Mohamud Omar: From Humble Beginning To The Greatest Achiever". waamonews. 2013-09-14. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- ""We are Like the Dead": Torture and other Abuses in Jail Ogaden, Somali Regional State, Ethiopia". ReliefWeb. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "Ethiopia: Swedish journalists must be released immediately and unconditionally". www.amnesty.org. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "Ethiopia: President of Ethiopia's Turbulent Somali Region Resigns". allafrica.com. 2018-08-06.
- Shaban, Abdur Raman Alfa (August 30, 2018). "Ethiopia's Somali regional politics: new leader, Abdi Illey charged, Liyu police". Africa News. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- Maasho, Aaron (January 30, 2019). "Ethiopia charges former regional president, others of instigating ethnic violence". Reuters. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- Maasho, Aaron (6 February 2019). "Ethiopia ex-official pleads not guilty to fomenting ethnic violence". Reuters. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- Ethiomedia[permanent dead link], the regional administration chief (President) led by Abdi Mohamud Omar is convincing the Federal government
- "Ethiopia 'kills 123 ONLF rebels'". BBC. 15 September 2010. Retrieved 25 July 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
Abdi Mohamoud Omar, president of the Somali region of Ethiopia