Thomas Y. Crowell Co.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)
|Founder||Thomas Y. Crowell|
|Successor||Harper & Row|
|Country of origin||United States|
Thomas Y. Crowell Co. was a publishing company founded by Thomas Y. Crowell. The company began as a bookbindery founded by Benjamin Bradley in 1834. Crowell operated the business after Bradley's death in 1862 and eventually purchased the company from Bradley's widow in 1870.
In 1909, after Thomas Y. Crowell died, T. Irving Crowell became the company's president. Then in 1937, after T. Irving Crowell retired, the third generation Robert L. Crowell took over and moved towards publishing trade books and biographies. They were sold to Dun & Bradstreet in 1968.
In 1974, Crowell acquired the textbook publisher Intext, which also owned the trade publisher Abelard-Schuman. In 1978, the company was sold to Harper & Row, which bought Lippincott and combined the two into Lippincott & Crowell in 1979. Lippincott & Crowell was merged into Harper & Row in 1980.
- The French Revolution, A History (1 volume), 1893
- Works of Washington Irving
- Roget's Thesaurus International
- The Dictionary of Business and Finance
- a Social Studies Series
- The Radio Amateur's Handbook (at least 1964-1970)
- Benet's Reader's Encyclopedia
- The Soldiers' Diary and Note Book, revised edition
- Dictionary of American Slang, 1960
- Frank Heller detective/mystery series,
- The Works of William Shakespeare by William Shakespeare (undated)
- Eight books in the Nine to Twelve Series for older children
- The Children of the Valley by Harriet Prescott Spofford
- Little Dick's Son by Kate Gannett Wells
- Marcia & the Major by J.L. Harbour
- Song of the Bell by Friedrich Schiller
- How Dexter Paid His Way by Kate Upson Clark
- The Flatiron and the Red Cloak by Abby Morton Diaz
- In the Poverty Year by Marian Douglas
- Little Sky-High by Hezekiah Butterworth
- The Little Cave-Dwellers by Ella Farman Pratt
- The Poetical Works of John Milton by John Milton
- Westward the Sun by Brigid Knight (1942)
- The Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace
- "Jed - A Boy's Adventure in the Army of 61-65 - A Story of Battle and Prison, of Peril and Escape" by Warren Lee Goss
- "Poems, Plays and Essays" of Oliver Goldsmith, M.B.
- "Poems: 'Longfellow's Early Poems" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Poems:Selections From The Poetical Works of Robert Browning Second Series
- "Poems: 'The Courtship of Miles Standish'" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- "Poems: 'The Complete Poetical Works of Robert Burns" © 1900
- "Poems: 'The Poems of Robert Louis Stevenson, with an Introduction by William Peterfield Trent" (1900)
- "Poems: 'Idylls of the King' by Alfred Lord Tennyson (1885)
- "Poems: 'Proctor's Poems'" by Adelaide Anne Proctor (1880)
- Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith (1957) (1958 Newbery Award)
- Faust: A Tragedy. by Goethe, Ed. F.H. Hedge, D.D.
- Cranford by Mrs. Gaskell
- Ivanhoe: A Romance, by Sir Walter Scott, Bart., 1898 (illustrated by Allan Stewart)
- Father Fox's Pennyrhymes, children's book of poetry by Clyde Watson, with illustrations by her sister, Wendy Watson
- Wordsworth's Complete Poetical Works...New York Thomas Y. Crowell Company Publishers (The Complete Poetical works of William Wordsworth with an introduction by John Morley dated 1888)
- Astor Edition of Poetry
- Astor Edition of Prose
- Astor Library of Standard Literature
- Children's Favorite Classics
- Crowell’s Colonial Series
- Crowell’s Red Line Poets
- Famous Men and Women Library
- Half-Hour Classics
- Handy Volume Classics
- Luxembourg Edition
- Luxembourg Illustrated Classics Series
- Luxembourg Illustrated Library
- Masters of Contemporary Photography
- Popular Books for Young People (also known as: Crowell's Library for Young People)
- Sunday School Library, No. 1
- Well Spent Hour Library
- What is Worth While Series
- "The LUCILE Project". Sdrc.lib.uiowa.edu. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- FOB Search Results
- Mitgang, Herbert (1980-03-27). "Harper Absorbs Lippincott & Crowell". Select.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- Astor Edition of Poets, owu.edu. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- Children's Favorite Classics, 19thcenturyjuvenileseries.com. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- Crowell’s Colonial Series, owu.edu. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- Famous Men and Women Library, 19thcenturyjuvenileseries.com. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- Handy Volume Classics, owu.edu. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- Masters of Contemporary Photography (Thomas Y. Crowell) - Book Series List, publishinghistory.com. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- Popular Books for Young People, 19thcenturyjuvenileseries.com. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- Sunday School Library, No. 1, , 19thcenturyjuvenileseries.com. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- Well Spent Hour Library, 19thcenturyjuvenileseries.com. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- What is Worth While Series, owu.edu. Retrieved 17 January 2021.