Abraham Rhinewine (1887-1932) was a Polish-born, Canadian-Jewish editor, publisher and author, among the most prominent Jewish journalists in Canada during his time. He was raised as an Orthodox Jew in Mezhirech (Miedzyrzec), Poland and trained to be a rabbi, but at the age of 15, he became a socialist and, apparently after attempting to unionize his father's factory, was sent to England to continue his secular education. He later settled in North America, where he was to work briefly and unsuccessfully in the millinery industry in New York City. He then settled in Toronto where he began his brief but highly distinguished career as a journalist and scholar. He is the author of several books in Yiddish as well as English, as well as many journalistic articles in these languages, and was publisher and editor-in-chief of the Hebrew Journal (Der Yidisher Zshurnal), a key Jewish newspaper in Toronto. Although he did not possess an advanced degree apart from a rabbinical certification from Poland and coursework from McMaster University (at that time in Toronto), he taught courses in Judaism at the University of Toronto and was well regarded as a secular scholar. He was politically active as a Jew and passionately advocated the Zionist cause for a Jewish state in Palestine. Following an unfortunate ouster from his position at the newspaper, he died May 19, 1932, at age 44, of complications from diabetes.
- "Looking Back a Century: on the Centennial of Jewish Political Equality in Canada" revised and enlarged by Isidore Goldstick, Kraft Press, Toronto 1932
- "Yidishe Shrayber in Kanade [Jewish Writers in Canada]", publisher unknown, 1920
- "Erets Yisroel in Yidishen Leben un Literatur [The Land of Israel in Jewish Life and Literature]", Farlag Kanada, Toronto 1921
- "Kanade--ihr Geshikhte un Entviklung [Canada--its History and Development]", Kanade, Toronto 1923
- "Der Yid in Kanada: fun der frantzoyzisher periyode biz der moderner tzayt. [The Jew in Canada]", Farlag Kanada, Toronto 1925
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-02-19. Retrieved 2007-03-02.
- Conversation with Avivah Bakerspigel of Toronto, daughter of Abraham Rhinewine, 2005.
- Abramowitz, H. (1 January 1935). Rhinewine, Abraham; Goldstick, Isidore, eds. "A Century in Canada". The Jewish Quarterly Review. 25 (3): 325–327. doi:10.2307/1451647. JSTOR 1451647.
- The Jewish Press in Toronto
|This article about a Canadian journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a person notable in connection with Judaism is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|