Academy of Arts and Academics
|Academy of Arts and Academics|
|615 Main Street
Springfield, Oregon, Lane County 97477
|School district||Springfield School District|
|Number of students||350+|
Academy of Arts and Academics (A3) is a public high school in downtown Springfield, Oregon, United States. The school allows students the chance to pursue an education in the art form of their choice, from visual to theatrical to music composition to many others. They also encourage the students to integrate their arts into the academic projects they do. At the end of each semester, they showcase the academic projects they have been working on for the semester in a "Confluence".
In the 2008-2009 state report card, 86% of students met or exceeded standards for English/Language Arts (the state average was 66%), 57% met or exceeded standards for Mathematics (the state average was 54%), and 74% met or exceeded standards for science (the state average was 58%). The school did not meet standards for attendance, with a 91.4% attendance rate but still was over the state average of 91.3%, and the school did not meet the federal Adequate Yearly Progress rating.
Academy of Arts and Academics officially became a charter school in 2010.
Health and Science
In 2012 a3 opened a health and science campus located two blocks from the main campus. Students will be able to attend one campus or the other, but not both. The campus focuses on incorporating science and health topics into in-depth, independently driven projects.
The Academy of Arts and Academics has a top notch media department. Media Students in the past have had internships at several local news stations, including KMTR, and KEZI. Media students have also won awards at local film festivals.
- "Oregon School Directory 2009-2010" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. p. 117. Archived (PDF) from the original on 7 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-04.
- "Oregon School Directory 2008-09" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. p. 139. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Academy of Arts and Academics". Unknown. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- Castillo, Susan (2009-11-10). "2008-2009 School Report Card: Academy of Arts and Academics" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. Retrieved 12 March 2010.
|This Oregon school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|