Adam Humphreys (born December 15, 1982) is a Canadian filmmaker, entrepreneur, and hall of fame tree planter. He is the director of two non-fiction films: Franz Otto Ultimate Highballer and Shitty Youth. He is the founder of Lucky Dragon Mobile Visa Consultants.
Humphreys' first film Franz Otto Ultimate Highballer (2010) is an exploration of Canada's silviculture industry. Humphreys tracks down the legendary tree planter Franz Otto while he tells the history of the tree-planting industry and its unique culture. Franz Otto Ultimate Highballer was reviewed favorably in hearty magazine and The Georgia Straight.
His second film Shitty Youth (2012) follows young novelist Zachary German over a two-year period following the release of his first novel Eat When You Feel Sad. The film takes its name from German's short-lived online radio show. It includes interviews with writers Tao Lin, Steve Roggenbuck, and Brandon Scott Gorrell.
Shitty Youth was featured on Vice, HTML Giant, and DIS magazine. In a review on literary blog HTML Giant, Stephen Tully Dierks called the film "an interesting document of an idiosyncratic figure."
Lucky Dragon Mobile Visa Consultant
In November 2011, Humphreys founded Lucky Dragon Mobile Visa Consultant, a printing and visa consulting company operated out of a van in front of the Chinese Consulate in New York City. His enterprise was discussed on the CBC News Network program Connect with Mark Kelley, NPR's Planet Money, as well as the John Birch Society's The New American. An executive order passed by the White House in January 2012 sped up the visa application process, forcing Humphreys to discontinue his business.
Commercial Video Work
Humphreys has produced and directed for various corporate accounts including Rag & Bone and Estée Lauder. Rag & Bone's Fall/Winter 2012 fashion show featured a video backdrop created by Humphreys using experimental depth sensor technology.
- "Adam Humphreys". Tree-planter.com. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Adam’s Summer Purgatory, 2008 (2013)". Thought Catalog.
- Humphreys, Adam. "Franz Otto Ultimate Highballer". Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "NEWS / Ultimate Highballer". hearty. 30 November 2010. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Flick picks: Franz Otto: Ultimate Highballer pays homage to treeplanters". The Georgia Straight. 18 November 2010. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- Humphreys, Adam. "Shitty Youth". Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "Who Is Zachary German?". Vice. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- Dierks, Stephen Tully. "The Zachary German Documentary "Shitty Youth"". HTML Giant. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "Zachary German, The Void Of New Literary Microcelebrity, an Interview with Adam Humphreys". DIS Magazine. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "Connect with Mark Kelley". CBC News Network. 7 December 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "A Man. A Van. A Surprising Business Plan.". NPR Planet Money. 4 January 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- Adelmann, Bob (5 January 2012). "Free Market Thinking Inside the Van". The New American. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Executive Order -- Establishing Visa and Foreign Visitor Processing Goals and the Task Force on Travel and Competitiveness". Office of the Press Secretary. 19 January 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Lucky Dragon Mobile Visa Consultant: An Entrepreneurial Saga In A Bleak Economy". Thought Catalog. 27 January 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- Mayo Davies, Dean. "Pioneering depth imaging reduced the venue to graphics at Marcus Wainright and David Neville's A/W12 show". Dazed Digital. Retrieved 15 December 2012.