|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Adanur or Adnoor (also referred to as Aadanooru in local kannada language) is a village in Holalkere taluk of Chitradurga district in the Karnataka state of Southern India. It is situated around 5 kilometers from Holalkere on Holalkere - Davanagere state highway (SH-19).
In the local Dravidian language, the name translates to 'Aadina' + 'Ooru' viz. Village of Rams. As with other villages in the vicinity, this signifies the tribal roots of the region.
As with other parts in rural India, the economy is primarily agrarian, and the nearly 3,500 strong, current population mainly produce agricultural products like Ragi, Jowar, Sunflower, vegetables etc. Coconut and Arecanut plantations can also be seen. Agriculture is mainly dependent on rain. Though, more recently, bore-wells have cropped up and their uncontrolled and unmanaged rapid growth is contributing to rapid depletion of local ground water tables.
- Literacy - 70% of the population are literate.
- Schools & Colleges - Government Primary and Higher Primary school, and a private High School.
"Tourism Related" The main attraction of this place is 'Pancha Devasthaanagalu' (which translates to 'Five temples' in local language), which are situated close-by.
- Shiva Temple - An ancient temple, which is more than 800 years old, was recently (in 1996) renovated by the villagers. The temple has about 5 feet long 'ShivaLinga' on a 3-step peetam.
- Thirumala temple - This temple is also about 500 years old. Tirumaleshwara(Thimmappa) is the main deity (Gramadevatha) of the village. A fair is held for this deity every year during the month of March–April, 9 days after Ramanavami.
- Hanuman, Kariyamma, Vinayaka and Ajjayya temples. The deity Hanuman was believed to be installed by the king Janamejaya (Great grand son of Arjuna in Threta-yuga).
Most of these temples in the village were renovated with the financial help of villagers & old students association under the guidance of Sri H C Baburao a retired school teacher and a social worker. He also contributed to the village in various aspects like education, spiritually . Sri Baburao died on Dec 15,2014 at the age of 86 years which is great loss to the villagers. He was one of the greatest soul.