"Comvida" by Add Fuel, Bairro Padre Cruz, Lisbon
Add Fuel has cited an older cousin who introduced him to a wide range of popular and classical artforms as a childhood influence.
Street Art, Ceramic panels and Murals
Machado traces his initial interest in reviving azulejo to the Cascais ArtSpace festival in Cascais in 2008. "At the time, I received the invitation to cover an entire building with a giant printed canvas and my idea was to develop an illustration piece that would represent me as an inhabitant of my city, being the festival in Cascais." he says. "I investigated several portuguese traditional techniques and elements, such as the Galo de Barcelos and the Arraiolos tapestries, but it was a building, so the azulejo aesthetic was the one it felt right to work on"
After this first experience, Machado studied azulejo and ceramics and began applying it to other urban art settings, often in incongruous and non-traditional contexts. Noteworthy pieces include a 30 meters long ceramic mural, made for the Walk & Talk Public Art Festival on Ponta Delgada in the Azores islands.
Explaining why he chose the name Add Fuel, Machado has said "it's an abbreviation of the expression 'add fuel to the fire' which I like and used as my name for some time. The fact that it's in English is just because it's easier to work in an international market. Diogo Machado is hard to pronounce and to work just in the Portuguese market, unfortunately is not possible."
- 2014. Concentricum (Mercearia de Arte Alves & Silvestre, Coimbra, Portugal)
- 2013. International Colors (SOON Gallery, Bern, Switzerland)
- 2013. Tour Paris 13 (Paris, France)
- 2012. Urb4n Art LX (Influx Contemporary Art Gallery, Lisbon, Portugal)
- 2012. Cascais ArtSpace (Cascais, Portugal)
- 2012. Spaces Within (Pure Evil Gallery, London, United Kingdom)
- 2011. 'Planet Fire' app release (Montana Shop & Gallery, Lisbon, Portugal)
- 2009. 'Le Coq Tuguese (Experimenta Design, Lisbon, Portugal)
- 2008. Cascais ArtSpace (Cascais, Portugal)
- 2007. Red Bull Street Gallery (Lisbon, Portugal)
- 2014. Fenêtre Sur le Portugal (Paris, France)
- 2013. Le M.U.R. (Mulhouse, France)
- 2013. ArturB Residency (Lagos, Portugal)
- 2013. Fusing Cultural Experience (Figueira da Foz, Portugal)
- 2013. WOOL on Tour - Tem Sempre Encanto (Coimbra, Portugal)
- 2013. Muro Azul - CHPL (Lisbon, Portugal)
- 2012. WOOL on Tour - Lx Factory (Alcântara (Lisbon), Portugal)
- 2012. Walk & Talk Public Art Festival (Ponta Delgada, Azores)
- 2012. GAU - Lowbrow (Lisbon, Portugal)
- 2010. Secret Wars - Lisbon Team (Lisboa & Berlin)
- 2009. MTV From Grey to Rainbow (Barreiro (city), Portugal)
- 2008. Fuel TV - Portugal Launch - Lx Factory (Alcântara (Lisbon), Portugal)
A Better Tomorrow, Alfa Romeo, Avalon7, Beatbombers, Burton Snowboards, Cropp, Colourlovers, Computer Arts, Dj Ride, Don't Panic, Digit, Europa Magazine, Feed The Beast FUEL TV, GAU Lisbon, MTV, MySpace, Nike, Inc., Popular Mechanics, Pyknic Clothing, Pocket Frenz, Red Bull, Toy2R, TMN (Meo (mobile phone company)), Wired (magazine), X-Funs, Yes No Maybe.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Add Fuel.|
Walk&Talk Azores 2012
- Jornal O Público (2014): "Azulejo tradicional de Add Fuel em Coimbra"
- Jornal i Online (2014): "Devolver os azulejos ás paredes"
- Neo Pop Tv (2013): "NEW POP CULTURE: Diogo Machado Ep.2"
- Neo Pop Tv (2013): "NEW POP CULTURE: Diogo Machado Ep.1"
- IdN (International designers' Network) (2013): "Creative Country: Portugal"
- Street Art News (2013): "The Rise of Portuguese "Arte Urbana"
- Lux WOMAN (2013): "Mental Idade de Diogo Machado e Eime"
- Choco la Design (2013): "Os azulejos de Add Fuel"
- INFLUX Contemporary Art Gallery Featured Artist (2013)
- Jornal O Público (2013): "Artistas portugueses “ocupam” prédio abandonado em Paris"
- Jornal O Público (2012): "Walk&Talk, um abecedário de arte pública"
- Le blog de la galerie d'art Limitedartgallery.com (2012): "Arty Friday #4 – Diogo Machado aka ADD FUEL TO THE FIRE"
- Jornal O Público (2012): "O azulejo tradicional reinventado por artistas contemporâneos"
- Science of the Time (2011): "Portuguese Mosaic Tiles Meet Urban Graffiti"
- Arize Magazine (2008): "Diogo Machado–Well known illustrator Diogo…Adds Fuel to the Fire"
- Falar Criativo podcast (2015) :Interview of Add Fuel
- Teresa, Pearce de Azevedo. "Diogo Machado in Walk&Talk". Archived from the original on 2014-02-22.
- Arize, Magazine. "Diogo Machado–Well known illustrator Diogo…Adds Fuel to the Fire". Archived from the original on 27 December 2010.
- Salome, Areias. "Portuguese Mosaic Tiles Meet Urban Graffiti". Science of Time.
- Diogo, Machado. "Add Fuel. Devolver os azulejos às paredes". Jornal i. Archived from the original on 26 February 2014.