|A blind A. venatrix worker|
|A winged A. venatrix queen|
Adetomyrma is a genus of ants endemic to Madagascar. Workers of this genus are blind. The type species Adetomyrma venatrix was described in 1994, with the genus being an atypical member of its tribe, the Amblyoponini. This tribe includes the Dracula ants, members of which can feed on the hemolymph of larvae and pupae.
Adetomyrma was first described as a Malagasy endemic monotypic genus by Ward in 1994. Ward (1994) assigned this genus to Amblyoponini within the subfamily Ponerinae on the basis of the worker morphology of the type species Adetomyrma venatrix. Later, Bolton (2003) raised this tribe to subfamily status as Amblyoponinae.
The colonies, the first of which was found in a rotting log, may contain as many as 10,000 workers, winged males and several wingless queens (the majority of ant species feature winged queens). The workers use venom to stun their prey which are brought back to the colony for the larvae to feed upon. The colour of the winged males, a darker orange than the workers, suggests they disperse by flying to other colonies before mating.
- Adetomyrma aureocuprea Yoshimura & Fisher, 2012
- Adetomyrma bressleri Yoshimura & Fisher, 2012
- Adetomyrma caputleae Yoshimura & Fisher, 2012
- Adetomyrma cassis Yoshimura & Fisher, 2012
- Adetomyrma caudapinniger Yoshimura & Fisher, 2012
- Adetomyrma cilium Yoshimura & Fisher, 2012
- Adetomyrma clarivida Yoshimura & Fisher, 2012
- Adetomyrma goblin Yoshimura & Fisher, 2012
- Adetomyrma venatrix Ward, 1994
- Ward, P. S. (1994). "Adetomyrma, an enigmatic new ant genus from Madagascar (Hymenoptera: Formicidae), and its implications for ant phylogeny" (PDF). Systematic Entomology. 19 (2): 159–175. doi:10.1111/j.1365-3113.1994.tb00585.x.
- Bolton, B. (2014). "Adetomyrma". AntCat. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- Yoshimura, Masashi; Fisher, Brian L. (2012), "A revision of the Malagasy endemic genus Adetomyrma (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Amblyoponinae)." (PDF), Zootaxa, 3341: 1–31
- Bolton, B. (2003), "Synopsis and classification of Formicidae.", Memoirs of the American Entomological Institute, 71: 1–370
- This article incorporates text from a scholarly publication published under a copyright license that allows anyone to reuse, revise, remix and redistribute the materials in any form for any purpose: Yoshimura, Masashi; Fisher, Brian L. (2012), "A revision of the Malagasy endemic genus Adetomyrma (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Amblyoponinae)." (PDF), Zootaxa, 3341: 1–31 Please check the source for the exact licensing terms.