Adil Serdar Saçan
Adil Serdar Saçan is a famous Turkish police chief who has overseen numerous high-profile investigations. He supervises the Istanbul police force's Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime Department (Turkish: Organize Suçlarla Mücadele ve Kaçakçılık Şube Müdürlüğü), which he established in 1998.
Background and personal life
In June 2008, he and his son Kerim Bedri survived an accident involving a truck.
In 2001, he led the team that interrogated Tuncay Güney, exposing a criminal network called Ergenekon. The Ergenekon investigation at the time was allegedly torpedoed due to the intervention of vested interests. Saçan suspects Veli Küçük, an Ergenekon defendant; he was found in possession of documents intended to blackmail Saçan. Since the interrogation, Saçan has been fired six times and sued 39 times (acquitted on 36 counts, as of August 2008).
In September 2008, he himself was detained on charges of being a member. He was interrogated by prosecutor Mehmet Ali Pekgüzel for nearly twelve hours, in reference to the Gülenist clique inside the police force, and the thwarting of the Ergenekon investigation in 2001. He shares a cell with Tuncay Özkan and his former detainee, Sedat Peker.
The Fatih Second Criminal Court of First Instance sentenced Saçan to five months in prison on charges of taking confidential investigation documents into his own possession.
- Mulhim, Bulut (2008-06-25). "Adil Serdar Saçan kazada yaralandı". Hürriyet (in Turkish). Dogan News Agency. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Ünlü polis şefi gözaltında". Türkiye. Milliyet (in Turkish). 2008-09-23. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Akçura, Belma (2008-08-05). "'Küçük soruşturması'nı istihbarat şubesi kapattı". Siyaset. Milliyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-11-30.
Veli Küçük’ün evinde yapılan aramalarda ele geçirilen arasında 'Saçan Hakkında bilinenler' ve 'Saçan Hakkında Bilinmeyenler' başlıklı iki dosyanın bulunması dikkat çekti.
- Akçura, Belma (2008-10-10). "Saçan'a 'Fethullahçı polisler' soruldu". Güncel. Milliyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-12-22.
- Özturk, Saygı (2008-11-21). "Saçan'dan Peker'in odasına itiraz". Hürriyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-12-22.
Adil Serdar Saçan'ın gazeteci-yazar Tuncay Özkan ve Esenyurt eski Belediye Başkanı Gürbüz Çapan'la aynı odayı paylaştıkları bildirildi
- Erdal, Busra (2009-01-01). "Saçan given 5 months for concealing Ergenekon files". Today's Zaman. Retrieved 2009-01-02.
- Today's Zaman, 5 August 2013, Long sentences for Ergenekon suspects, life for ex-army chief Archived 2013-08-06 at the Wayback Machine.