Adolf Eberle (11 January 1843 – 24 January 1914) was a German painter who specialised in genre painting, particularly of Bavarian and Tyrolean farmers and huntsmen.
Eberle was born in Munich; his father, Robert Eberle, was also a painter. At the Munich Academy of Arts, he studied under Karl von Piloty beginning in 1860. He achieved success the following year with a painting called Pfändung der letzten Kuh (mortgaging the last cow), of which William Unger made an engraving.
After spending some time depicting soldiers in the Thirty Years' War and the Seven Years' War, he returned to subjects from Bavarian and Tyrolean peasant life. At the 1879 international exposition in Munich, his Erster Rehbock (first stag) was well received. A painting of his with the translated title Childhood Fun was sold for $16,800 at Bonhams in San Francisco in 2007, and another with the translated title The Day's Bag for £7,500 at Christie's in London in 2012.
- Pfändung der letzten Kuh (1861) (Mortgaging the last cow)
- Erster Rehbock (1879) (First stag)
- Feldschule in Wallensteins Lager (field instruction in Wallenstein's camp)
- Die verunglückte Musikprobe (Music test gone wrong)
- Der Hochzeitstag (Wedding day)
- Nach der Taufe (After the baptism)
- Zitherunterricht (Zither lesson)
- Das Tischgebet (grace)
- Verspätetes Mittagessen des heimgekehrten Försters (forester's late lunch after returning home)
Die Dackelfamilie mit Jäger und Magd (Family of dachshunds with huntsman and girl)
- "Eberle, Adolf", Meyers Konversations-Lexikon, Volume 5 Distanzgeschäft – Faidherbe, 4th ed., 1885–92, p. 281, online at Retrobibliothek (in German).
- Deutsche Biographische Enzyklopädie Volume 2 Brann – Einslin, 2005 ed., ISBN 9783598250323, p. 799, col. 1 (in German).
- Hermann Alexander Müller, ed. Hans Wolfgang Singer, Allgemeines Künstler-Lexicon, Volume 1 A – F, 3rd ed. Frankfurt: Rütten & Loening, 1895, OCLC 174779598, p. 382 (in German).
- Adolf Rosenberg, Geschichte der modernen Kunst: Die deutsche Kunst 2 1849–1889, Leipzig: Grunow, 1889, OCLC 185569967, p. 70 (in German).
- Lot 124, Auction 15410: European Paintings, 7 November 2007, Bonhams, retrieved 19 October 2014.
- Sale 6836, Lot 102, 27 September 2012, Christie's, retrieved 19 October 2014.
- Eberlestraße, Sollner-hefte.de (in German).
- Media related to Adolf Eberle at Wikimedia Commons