Batra was born in Saskatchewan, the youngest daughter of Harbir and Deepi Batra. Her parents were teachers who had immigrated to Canada from India in 1967, by way of Ethiopia. After graduating from high school in 1991, Batra joined the Canadian Reserves where she obtained the rank of Lieutenant. After obtaining university degrees in political science and public administration she joined the Regina office of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation as a researcher, eventually becoming its Manitoba director.
She and her husband moved to Toronto in 2008 and, during the 2010 mayoral election Batra worked as communications director on Rob Ford's successful campaign for mayor. She subsequently joined the mayor's office, serving as Ford's press secretary for a year until she resigned in December 2011 to become the Toronto Sun's Comment Editor. She also became CFRB Newstalk 1010's municipal affairs correspondent and wrote a column in the Sun on municipal affairs.
In November 2013, she joined the Sun News Network as host of Straight Talk, an afternoon news and comment program, and took a leave of absence from her position as a Sun comment editor, though continuing as a columnist, in order to work for the network full-time until the channel went off the air in February 2015. She was the fill-in host on CFRB radio as its weekday afternoon "Live Drive" host.
Batra rejoined the Toronto Sun staff in May 2015 to become the paper's editor-in-chief.
- "Sun Comment Editor Adrienne Batra awarded Diamond Jubilee Medal". Toronto Sun. March 24, 2013. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- "Ford's press secretary resigns for job at the Toronto Sun". Globe and Mail. November 29, 2011. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- "Rob Ford press secretary Adrienne Batra leaving job to become Sun comment editor". National Post. November 29, 2011. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- Kives, Bartley (October 31, 2010). "Be afraid, Toronto". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- Bell Média. "Newstalk 1010". www.newstalk1010.com. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Toronto Sun names columnist Adrienne Batra editor". Globe and Mail. May 26, 2015. Retrieved May 31, 2015.