|Fate||acquired by The Home Depot and became its Canadian unit|
|Predecessor||Ridout's Hardware Store|
|Successor||Home Depot Canada|
James T.E. Aikenhead
|Headquarters||Ontario, Toronto, Canada|
Number of locations
James T.E. Aikenhead
J. Wilfred Aikenhead
Thomas E. Aikenhead
|Owner||Aikenheads family 1901-1971
|Parent||Aikenhead Hardware Company 1893-1901
Aikenhead Hardware Limited 1901-1971
Aikenhead's Hardware was a chain of Canadian hardware stores located in Greater Toronto, Southern Ontario and northern Ontario. The original store was founded in Toronto in 1830 as "Ridout's Hardware Store" by Joseph Ridout and was located on the corner of King Street and Yonge Street.
In 1868, two employees, James Aikenhead and Alexander Crombie, became partners in the company and renamed it "Ridout, Aikenhead, & Crombie", it became Aikenhead's in 1893, when Aikenhead bought out Ridout and Crombie.
In 1971 the Aikenhead family sold their chain to Molson, which later started a warehouse in 1991 to head off American chain The Home Depot. Molson later sold their 75% stake to Home Depot in 1994, and became the Canadian unit. (Molson exited the hardware business with the sale of Beaver Lumber in 1999 to Home Hardware, which they had acquired a year after the purchase of Aikenheads).
- Original stores:
- St. Catharines
- Yorkdale Shopping Centre
List of Home Improvement Warehouses:
- Scarborough - 426 Ellesmere Road became Home Depot location and head office
- Markham - 3155 Highway East is now Home Depot
- Brampton - Orion Gate Plaza (Steeles Ave & Hwy 410) now Home Depot
- Oakville - 2555 Bristol Circle now Home Depot
· London - Wonderland Road South
- Kearney, Mark; Ray, Randy. "James Aikenhead: Aikenhead's Hardware". I Know That Name!: The People Behind Canada's Best Known Brand Names from Elizabeth Arden to Walter Zeller. pp. 21–23. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- http://www.trentu.ca/admin/library/archives/89-014.htm[not in citation given]
|This article about a Canadian corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|