Ain't Goin' Down ('Til the Sun Comes Up)
|"Ain't Going Down ('Til the Sun Comes Up)"|
|Single by Garth Brooks|
|from the album In Pieces|
|B-side||"Kickin' and Screamin'"|
|Released||July 26, 1993|
|Format||CD Single, 7" single|
|Garth Brooks singles chronology|
"Ain't Going Down ('Til the Sun Comes Up)" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Garth Brooks. It was released in July 1993 as the lead single from his album In Pieces. The song also appears on The Hits, The Limited Series, The Ultimate Hits, and Double Live. The spelling of the song has varied from album to album, and is also spelled "Ain't Going Down (Til the Sun Comes Up)." The song was written by Brooks, Kent Blazy and Kim Williams. It is in the key of G Major.
A girl heads out for a Friday evening date at six in the evening. Her mother tells her to be back in bed before dawn. After the teenagers see a show and get a bite to eat, they head out for some late-night dancing. Eventually, they spend the night there and head out to her house at 4 A.M. The girl does not get home in time, and is grounded and punished with chores, but sneaks out again at 6 P.M. the next evening.
Writing and production
Garth provided the following background information on the song in the CD booklet liner notes from The Hits:
"Kent Blazy, Kim Williams, and I sat out on the back porch of Kent and Sharon Blazy's house and decided we wanted to write something that was a lot of fun, for no other reason than just that, fun. "Ain't Going Down (Til the Sun Comes Up)" is what we came up with. Kent and Sharon had just moved into their new home and this was the first song we had ever written at their house. They still reside there, and hopefully there are a lot more songs on that back porch."
"Ain't Going Down ('Til The Sun Comes Up)" debuted at number 37 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of August 7, 1993. The song reached Number One on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of September 18, 1993. The song then fell to No. 2 on September 25, 1993, when Tracy Byrd's "Holdin' Heaven" climbed to No. 1. However, on the chart week of October 2, 1993, "Ain't Going Down" returned to No. 1.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|Europe (Eurochart Hot 100)||32|
|Irish Singles Chart||7|
|UK Singles Chart||13|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||12|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||7|
- Garth Brooks - The Hits: transcription from the CD booklet (bar code 7-2438-29689-2-4)
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 2268." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. October 16, 1993. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- Inc, Nielsen Business Media (19 February 1994). "Billboard". Nielsen Business Media, Inc. – via Google Books.
- http://www.fireballmedia.ie, Jaclyn Ward - Fireball Media Group -. "The Irish Charts - All there is to know".
- "GARTH BROOKS - full Official Chart History - Official Charts Company".
- "Garth Brooks Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1993". RPM. December 18, 1993. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Best of 1993: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1993. Retrieved August 5, 2013.